Used 1992 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Reliable
By Vic

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '92 XLT 4X4 about 8 years ago with about 50k miles on it. It has been by far one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. It has never It has never left me stranded. It is also a very capable off-road vehicle. I have been on countless Arizona back roads through mud, snow and silt. It plows through with no problems.

Interior room - large people ride comfortably in the back seat. This can't be said about Toyotas and Nissans with back seats designed for children. Durable Iinterior. It still looks like new after a wash.

Seat belts are too high...they creep up your neck which is annoying. Engine is underpowered. I overcame some of this by installing a SuperChip. Arm rest support brackets break too easily. Exterior door handles flop around when an internal spring breaks.

1992 Ford is been a good work house
By John

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the a owner of a 1992 Ford Explorer and have found that the fuel effeciy of the vehicle is very well. I on average get 18-20 around town and have got 26 mpg on the highway but this was using cruise. The truck performance around the farm as been great. It has not gotten stock.The body looks brand new and the truck has nver left me somewere. The truck has 122,000 miles and still get better mph then my new Ford

4WD and the large space inside

The fuel economy rating is a little low. It should be 19 city and 20 highway because I have calculated if for a whole year and this is the average I came up with

nice at first, then problems
By r grigsby

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Our 92 Explorer seemed to run just fine until 1998 when it broke down on a roadtrip, transmission fluid gushing out onto the road. Had the transmission replaced for $1800 or so. Same thing happened again in 2004. I will never take it on a roadtrip again. The transmission is not beefy enough for the weight of the car. Nowadays it just slowly deteriorates. For some reason water gets trapped in the rear doors causing them to rust away at the bottom. Rocker panels have also completely rusted out. Overal l-- not reliable, lousy.

Nice interior.

Include a better transmission.

It's a keeper
By Lowkey

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

As a Ford man from a family of Ford lovers this is my first Explorer and I must say in the 2 months I've owned it I love it. I'm wising I would have bought one sooner. I had a 92 Bronco 2; it just didn't perform the same. I must say the 92 two door sport is a keeper.

The turning radius on this is awesome; you can turn around on a dime. The 5 speed has great power and pick up for a 4.0.

Wind stability.

Catch the wind!
By flowernymph

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had great luck with my Explorer but that only really bad thing is, it is a WIND CATCHER! I drive in many areas of high wind and it is always a deal to handle. Otherwise, it is great.

Seats are comfortable and it is easy to handle in deep rain puddles.

Improvements would be to get rid of the way it catches wind and improve some on the console.

• SUV