1992 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Think My Explorers Days Are Numbered
By angelb on 11/13/04 09:59 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought Explorer 21/2 yrs ago with 114000 mls . The transmission had just been replaced everything worked great no leaks. at 136000mls took it on a long road trip broke down, TRANSMISSION again had the front seal repaired cost $500. today at 150000 still having transmission problems,mechanic says these tranmissions are notorious for having problems, radiator needs to be replaced, ac n/o longer works, electrical problems, have replaced starter and other routine maintenence.change the oil every 3000 miles no problems there. we have some rust but in the upper midwest that is to be expected.its a great car for daily driving but wont be taking any more road trips.decent for 150000mls 12yrsold

The Explorer Just Keeps Running....
By clarkbaker on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned our Ford Explorer since 1998. The model we bought is a 1992. We purchased it with approx. $75k miles on it. The only thing that has gone srong is an $80 fuel mix sensor. The car is reliable, well designed and has never left us on the side of the road. The car is now 12 years old and has proven as reliable as any car I have owned in the past. The 4x4 capabiltiies have been stronlgy utilized in Lake Tahoe and Reno areas in Summer and Winter. The car was also used to tow a light motor boat to and from the San Francisco Delta area. Ford made a great car that is easy to service and I expect to last into the 200k miles+ range easily.

Great Ford!
By AaronMAaron on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought the Explorer from my sister with 203,000 miles on it. Since I've put 6,000 on it with no problems. In it's 15 year life span the Explorer had only needed maintenance, a muffler, and a transmission...not bad for 209,000 miles. I suggest one for anyone who likes them...great ride.

k
By wingnutkev on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I enjoy the truck like ride and hieght of the vehical. I also enjoy the capacity for toating everything from dogs to my work equipment. I dislike that I've been through 3 transmissions and that the engine lacks power and acceleration. My vehical has over 200,000 miles and only so much can be expected. It had 120000 miles when I purchased it. It is easy to work on. A few quirks here and there but there hasnt been much on it go that I haven't been able to fix myself.

A great SUV
By grit on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in 02, with 60000 miles. I now have 75,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. The only big repair that I have done was had the A/C Compressor replaced and that was only $800. The former owner bought it new and had the oil replaced every 3,000 miles, as I stil do. The engine is not quite powerful enough for me, but it is a reliable vehicle. I would suggest this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable, fun to drive, and basic SUV.

Love my Explorer
By CarpeDiem1st on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I owned a new 4dr '93 Eddie Baurer 4 x 4 w/ the works. It was to big for me. I got a '95 2dr. 4x4 xlt. Nothing fancy but reliability & handling has been wonderful. These vehicles are just the right height & sz. for handling and to put in the garage. My vehicle will die before I give it up. I am like where's Waldo, I mountain bike so this vehicle is loaded and unloaded many times a wk. It is off road alot and it has always worked for me. Guess what I'm a lady owner.

Four wheel drive not worth it
By kwhiting on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Not only to I agree with the above review citing TRANSMISSION problems, but I was recently informed that after about 100,000 miles the head has a tentancy to crack due to poor manufacturing. Repairs for this are over $3000, and this was on top of a transmission problem last year and a fuel injection probelm costing over $400 the year before. I rated the confort as fair, that is, when the seat was not falling backward due to a broken screw so far within the seat, it woudl need to be replaced to fix the problem. If you're thinking of buying an Explorer, any year, please look at a Pathfinder or a Toyota.

Good, Reliable SUV
By sdgrant on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

My wife purchased it in '92, and I begain driving it in '99 when we met. It had a tranny rebuild at 94K miles (has 114K now), but I hear that's typical. Performance improved when the Air Flow Meter was cleaned (not replaced) recently. We just drove it 1000 miles from LA to Utah and back, 120+ degrees in the desert, A/C blasting, stereo cranked, loaded with camping gear, ran cool & smooth.

after 11 years
By Red on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rides like a hay wagon, sits rattle, no pick-up, parts are made very cheapt

MY EXPLORER SPORT
By "THE MAN" on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have a 92' explorer spory 4x4 and I love it. I just bought it with under 74000 miles. The only things I have noticed that arent really a big deal arethe engigne is a little weak and The A/C doesnt work and it needs a new power steering pump soon. Not really a big deal but hey, what do you expect from an 11 year old car!!! I LOVE IT!!