1992 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Still going at 300,000!
By Jeff on 04/08/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes! 304,000 miles and still going! The gas mileage is at 14.6 right now. Original engine...replaced transmission four years ago at $1300. A little rust at the rear rocker panels. Clear coat is gone. Seats are just now getting uncomfortable. Replaced the radius arm bushings several times. This has been one good vehicle!

298000
By worth it on 12/01/08 11:59 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought my 1992 Explorer 5 years ago with about 150000 miles on it. I bought it for $700. It rode okay and I thought it was worth the try for the money. I now have over 298000 on it and haven't had to do anything but change oil, brakes, tires and a tune up. Best buy for the money I have ever bought

Explorer
By tbirdman on 11/15/08 19:18 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it with 400 000kms in surrey BC, moved to Saskatchewan with it, drive it daily on rough gravel road. Tthe engine runs like new, uses no oil in 2000 miles of driving. Transmission is original and untouched, (fluid changes every 5000 kms help) Motor has never been opened, has K/N air filter,and performance chip. Just put 31" MTs on it (no they don't rub) Will keep driving it until it dies.

Great car
By Matthew Smrzlick on 10/05/08 09:03 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased this car with 150,000 miles. It now has 364,000 miles and if still going fine except for the transmission and transfer case. It is so shot that it actually causes it to overheat while trying to shift. You have to drive it like a manual. You start off in first and work your way to drive. It actually makes this humming noise like it is an electric car. Other than that it runs fine.(We can only go to school and back though or else it over heats). The only other complaint is that the windows fall off the tracks too much and we have given up trying to keep the on track. Also the locking mechanism in the door handle fell out and had to be replaced and the hinge is messed up.

Quarter Millionaire
By Explored on 05/09/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rolling up to a quarter million miles on my Explorer, I can't complain a whole lot. The total repair costs in the last 8 years, since I bought it was $9,108, equivalent to a $95 per month car payment. Ususally there are 2 to 3 repairs per year, about $300 each time. Note that everything went wrong at 175,000, so I spent $3,000 in repairs over 1000 miles (most of that was rebuilding the transmission). The next 60,000 miles were great. At 235,000 another $2,000 in repairs because I messed things up myself (didn't tighten new headlight; it fell out of socket and burnt engine wiring and everyting in path). At quarter- million, cracked cylinders - expensive fix >3K, said no. Still good parts

Reliable
By Vic on 03/05/08 09:34 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '92 XLT 4X4 about 8 years ago with about 50k miles on it. It has been by far one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. It has never It has never left me stranded. It is also a very capable off-road vehicle. I have been on countless Arizona back roads through mud, snow and silt. It plows through with no problems.

1992 Ford is been a good work house
By John on 01/31/08 05:54 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the a owner of a 1992 Ford Explorer and have found that the fuel effeciy of the vehicle is very well. I on average get 18-20 around town and have got 26 mpg on the highway but this was using cruise. The truck performance around the farm as been great. It has not gotten stock.The body looks brand new and the truck has nver left me somewere. The truck has 122,000 miles and still get better mph then my new Ford

nice at first, then problems
By r grigsby on 08/12/06 11:22 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Our 92 Explorer seemed to run just fine until 1998 when it broke down on a roadtrip, transmission fluid gushing out onto the road. Had the transmission replaced for $1800 or so. Same thing happened again in 2004. I will never take it on a roadtrip again. The transmission is not beefy enough for the weight of the car. Nowadays it just slowly deteriorates. For some reason water gets trapped in the rear doors causing them to rust away at the bottom. Rocker panels have also completely rusted out. Overal l-- not reliable, lousy.

It's a keeper
By Lowkey on 06/12/06 23:57 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

As a Ford man from a family of Ford lovers this is my first Explorer and I must say in the 2 months I've owned it I love it. I'm wising I would have bought one sooner. I had a 92 Bronco 2; it just didn't perform the same. I must say the 92 two door sport is a keeper.

Catch the wind!
By flowernymph on 01/11/06 02:08 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had great luck with my Explorer but that only really bad thing is, it is a WIND CATCHER! I drive in many areas of high wind and it is always a deal to handle. Otherwise, it is great.