Used 1992 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

298000
By worth it

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought my 1992 Explorer 5 years ago with about 150000 miles on it. I bought it for $700. It rode okay and I thought it was worth the try for the money. I now have over 298000 on it and haven't had to do anything but change oil, brakes, tires and a tune up. Best buy for the money I have ever bought

Favorite Features

Reliable

Suggested Improvements

Push button 4x4 switch to a manual or one that doesn't go out. Better door handles

Explorer
By tbirdman

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it with 400 000kms in surrey BC, moved to Saskatchewan with it, drive it daily on rough gravel road. Tthe engine runs like new, uses no oil in 2000 miles of driving. Transmission is original and untouched, (fluid changes every 5000 kms help) Motor has never been opened, has K/N air filter,and performance chip. Just put 31" MTs on it (no they don't rub) Will keep driving it until it dies.

Favorite Features

The 4x4 was only limited to my size and kind of tire. Now with 31's it goes everywhere no problem. It's a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I would have gotten one with a V8

Great car
By Matthew Smrzlick

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased this car with 150,000 miles. It now has 364,000 miles and if still going fine except for the transmission and transfer case. It is so shot that it actually causes it to overheat while trying to shift. You have to drive it like a manual. You start off in first and work your way to drive. It actually makes this humming noise like it is an electric car. Other than that it runs fine.(We can only go to school and back though or else it over heats). The only other complaint is that the windows fall off the tracks too much and we have given up trying to keep the on track. Also the locking mechanism in the door handle fell out and had to be replaced and the hinge is messed up.

Favorite Features

Leather, mostly cracked and gone though, power seats, power locks.

Suggested Improvements

Better windows. Every Ford we have owned the windows falls off track. The Taurus, Focus, and Contour also did.

Quarter Millionaire
By Explored

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rolling up to a quarter million miles on my Explorer, I can't complain a whole lot. The total repair costs in the last 8 years, since I bought it was $9,108, equivalent to a $95 per month car payment. Ususally there are 2 to 3 repairs per year, about $300 each time. Note that everything went wrong at 175,000, so I spent $3,000 in repairs over 1000 miles (most of that was rebuilding the transmission). The next 60,000 miles were great. At 235,000 another $2,000 in repairs because I messed things up myself (didn't tighten new headlight; it fell out of socket and burnt engine wiring and everyting in path). At quarter- million, cracked cylinders - expensive fix >3K, said no. Still good parts

Favorite Features

Headroom. Note that 1992 Explorer and 2002 Explorer are same height, but '02 is higher off ground. That means the '92 has more interior height. It feels spacious, especially if you have a big head or wear a 10 gallon hat. Also, the dual visors are a feature the 92's have that the new ones don't.

Suggested Improvements

Actually, I wish they made the new ones like the old ones.

Reliable
By Vic

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '92 XLT 4X4 about 8 years ago with about 50k miles on it. It has been by far one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. It has never It has never left me stranded. It is also a very capable off-road vehicle. I have been on countless Arizona back roads through mud, snow and silt. It plows through with no problems.

Favorite Features

Interior room - large people ride comfortably in the back seat. This can't be said about Toyotas and Nissans with back seats designed for children. Durable Iinterior. It still looks like new after a wash.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts are too high...they creep up your neck which is annoying. Engine is underpowered. I overcame some of this by installing a SuperChip. Arm rest support brackets break too easily. Exterior door handles flop around when an internal spring breaks.