It just won't die
By AJ on
1991 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD
I never thought the thing would be so reliable, but with over 200,000 I keep hoping that the thing will die so that I can get a new ride. It just keeps on running! I've owned it for 5 years and 60,000 miles and have never had to replace anything major. I've driven it on several 1000 mile trips. It has lots of little stuff wrong with it like the power windows and oil leak and engine tap (which is at least 5 yrs old too), but it starts up every time even when it's 10 degrees. The fuel mileage on hwy is better than most new SUVs (22mpg), and the thing does real nice off road and its only a 2WD. I've been in and out of many places in this thing that I should never have been it without 4WD.
Favorite Features
Off-road ability despite only 2WD, reliability and consistency, fuel mileage on open road, cargo room
Suggested Improvements
A lot of the early Explorers have lifters that get warped. Mine has this tap for years but it has not affected the performance of the vehicle. It sounds pretty bad though, like someone is tapping the engine block with a hammer!