Exploder
By JayBird on
1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD
I still have my '91 Explorer along with 2 others just like it.. The vehicle is great! It's large for passengers, road trips, camping out, and off roading. It has 205,000 miles on the body. I rebuilt the engine at 193,000 miles and since I have owned it I have only replaced the mufler, alternator, headgasket, ball joints, and automatic 4x4 hubs. The vehicle handles fairly decent. lots of power for a 4.0L V6. Ride comfort is incredible! Massive amounts of intierior room! Off road it handles pretty good but it's not recomended. You will lose $869 in hubs so please anyone who owns one change the hubs to manual locking ones. The whole spindle unit and all cost $256 total one time price!
Favorite Features
I love the smooth drive it provides! Plenty of room for all to ride. Great reliability .
Suggested Improvements
Watch out for the Explorers with the dreaded "X" vin. They are an experimental vehicle! When I rebuilt the engine it was $1,700 vs $967 for any other model. And why would Ford ever make automatic locking hubs? They are junk! Major advice is to convert them to manual hubs.