Used 1991 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Built Ford Tough
By Ford Tough

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought Used, Replaced Clutch First Thing. Used as Salesmans / Deliver Truck, Always Overloaded by alot!!!! Always been reliable, just normal wear items replaced and normal service. Used to teach son how to drive w/clutch and towed behind motor home on vacation, now pushing 200m and still going strong!!!

Suggested Improvements

More weight CAP.

Love the explorer
By keithsndebs

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our explorer used from friends of ours, and were really unsure about owning an SUV. But now that I've had it for 2 years, I will certainly buy another one once in the car market. It has been very dependable, fun to drive and a handy vehicle in the snow. I've driven it everywhere from the upper east coast to deep south, and it has always got us where we needed to go.

Had it for 12 years and still enjoy it
By rrenner

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this car new in 1991 and it has served us well since then. It's been up and down the east coast twice and used virtually every day since it was new. After some initial problems with bushings - repaired under warranty - it has been remarkably trouble- free. Replaced A/C after 5 years. With a 5- speed, it's still fun to drive. Gas gauge has been broken for w few years; I just reset the trip meter. The center armrest broke recently - a common problem. I replaced it with a good match. I want a new car, but will miss this one.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive - good pick-up and rides fairly well. Always has been a little rough, but OK. Still comfortable inside. Carries lots of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Ride could be improved. Otherwise, for a car of this vintage, it has held up well. I would reccommend.

Loved it, but hated transmission
By Tibbels30

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used Oct 4,2001. Broke down December 24th (lovely christmas present) 2001. The transmission went out. Come to find out the dealership put a used transmission in it in September. We made them put in another transmission (used again) around the end of Jan 2002 and it also went out in about 120 days (after the 100 day warrenty expired) Now it sits and the finance company doesn't even want it back!! I was told that transmissions in Explorers go out all the time, exspecially before the put in the newer ones in 1994. Do I dare buy another?? I cant deciede. Good luck to anyone who buys under 1995.

Favorite Features

Comfortable and 4WD button that switches from 2WD to 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

I think that Ford should replace any bad trannie in these Explorers. They should have been recalled!!

Only thing to drive
By TeresaD

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used with 118,000 - all highway miles! Since then, I am still driving the thing and have 195,000 miles with more to go. Yes it has had its share of problems - primarily electrical, but nothing major. Leaks, yes, but what do you expect with that many miles. I'd drive it from coast to coast & never bat an eye. Like it so much, keeping it & buying another Explorer!