1991 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great Vehicle
By Maryh36 on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

This has been a great vehicle. We currently have 210,000 miles on it and it still runs like we just bought it. we have had very few probulme with it minor stuff like: fan blade, raditor. We bought this vehicle brand new off the shroom floor the firs one sold in our area. Great vehicle!!!

Les' Explorer
By Les on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent vechile. With regular/routine servicing I was able to achieve 195,000 mile with no major failures. The only problem has been with the clear coat paint on the hood and top dulling.

I've been converted...
By superman90000 on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I haven't had my explorer for very long, but let me say, I love it. I've heard a lot of crap about Fords, but my explorer has over 150,000 miles and it's running great. It's excellant off road, I even showed my friends cherokee up with it last week. It's very comfortable, great for long road trips. I'd deffinatly recomend an explorer to my friend.

exceeded my expectations
By hugo w on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

A forerunner in the fledgling SUV arena at the time and compared with present day technology and comfort, the 91'Explorer is primitive in comparison to the multitude now available. I did not expect my Ford to last as long as it has. I have just rolled over 220,000 on the same engine and only had to replace the transmission - and that was because I never changed the transmission oil. My success in reaching over 200,000 miles in a Ford is due, I believe, to religiously changing the oil every 3,000 miles. I was so impressed with my Ford I have just purchased a 2001 Expedition. My Explorer was a great buy!

Great Family Truck
By BMac on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

We've taken the Explorer on many trips ands it's always run perfectly. Great in the snow.

nothing but trouble
By john kiernan on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

ever since I bought my 91 explorer I've had nothing but headaches with it.first it was the fuel relay sensor that went then 2 brake lines, then the ignition shroud is shot and last but not least I had to replace the front end upper and lower ball joints and the tie rod arms.and just tonight it started making grinding noises in the front as i was turning a corner....what a piece of crap!

Rare
By Jbarghols on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I guess my 91' explorer wasn't built in the same factory as the rest of yours because I had it 171000 miles and never did any work on the engine or transmission. It was a very reliable car and I enjoyed it. However if you are planing on buying one you might not just take my oppinion since it seems to be rare and out of character.

Decent SUV
By ScottB on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had this SUV for about 8 years. This is a decent looking truck, but have many costly repairs over the last 50k miles (currently 135k). Have had replace several components (4wd, and several other things under the hood. Also, this vehicle has rusted terribly along the running boards. One of the few positives is, although is parked outside every night, has always started on the first turn of the key.

Wezl's truck
By Wezl on 03/16/02 17:49 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Easy handling, with a very short turning radius...better than most vehicles I've driven. Sways with high winds, but does not require much more to control it.

4WD Dog
By bacanora joe on 03/10/02 18:22 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

The 4WD has gone 3 times. The vacuum hoses pop off regularly. The tranny left at 70,000. The front end is a joke. There is always a shimmy. Service has only been acceptable at a local garage. The engine has been good to here, but shouldn't something last on this doghouse?