Used 1991 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good ol' Explorer
By Mississippi Jon

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

I bought it when it had 80K miles of city driving on it. I now have nearly 200K miles, and have only had to rebuild the transmission, and change the water pump. It is a great road vehicle, gets 22 mpg, and looks fine. I painted it just to get the corporate colors off of it when I bought it from a company rep. It has been one of the best vehicles I have owned.

Interior comfort, large volume, visibility, power and performance.

Make the new ones as good as this one has been.

reliable
By martino

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new in 1991. After some warranty problems with wiring and dead batteries; no major problems. I now have 199,000 miles and still take it on long trips. Interior is falling apart. Thinking about retiring it and mounting a snowplow.

power

More durable interior parts.

More Problems More Money !!!
By MoonNStarsGirl

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Well I bought it with 115,000 miles on it. So far I have replaced the Gas tank, Starter, entire exhaust system, 4 wheel drive doesn't work anymore, LOTS of rust, Leaks to name a few power steering,oil,gas.... The brake caliburs went this week and the list goes on !!!!!

Room, Tv fits between the seats, SUNROOF .

Reliable
By JK in CA

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my EB Explorer for over 13 years, and it has been extremely reliable. Had some expensive warranty work many years ago. Only problem now is that sometimes the transmission "sticks" when I put it in reverse on cold wet winter mornings in CA. I cope with that by driving forward a foot or so, and then putting it into reverse. Paint is oxidizing on the roof due to hot CA summers.

Great visibility and head room.

None

Fun 4-wheel drive
By Nate J

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have totally tried to break my 91 explorer by dragging it through the mudd, crossing rivers, and racing chevy's. After all the things that i did to that thing it just keeps coming back for more. My explorer has about 180,000 miles and the only 2 problems that it had was the paint was faded due to the south carolina sun and the lifter tick. these were both easy fixes (i.e. some paint and a bottle of cd-2 lifter quiet.).

I love the high view and the leather seating as well as the ability to add a bunch of lil toys. hehe

The only thing that i could suggest is a little wider wheel base. At higher speeds it can't take corners like a car.