Used 1991 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1991 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I like it!
By desertamber

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

Well since we bought it a few years back, it's actually been a great vehicle. I've only had to replace the brakes once and now the clutch is starting to go...my fault. I was real bad at driving a clutch back then.

Favorite Features

Most everything.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior paint could have been better. It's starting to have some real bad oxidation.

Can't stop a Ford
By Ford Tough

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given my '91 Explorer from a friend. The car had been sitting for 2 years without the doors even being opened, much less started. I opened the door cleaned the battery terminals and cranked the car, it started right up and has ever since. It's amazing after sitting neglected that long it started right up and I detailed it and it came clean and the paint even shines as does the leather. It's an amazing car; I got mine for free but I'd recommend anyone buy an Explorer!

Favorite Features

Reliability, classic design.

Suggested Improvements

Better power window motors, tighter fit of interior/exterior components.

an Oldie but a Goodie
By Ford guy

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV

My Explorer originally had an automatic transmission and drove great. Transmission blew up going up a steep highway hill (my own fault for NOT replacing the black fluid) & a buddy of mine & I wound up getting a manual from a Bronco II at a junkyard and converted it over. Well she's got PLENTY of power now ... the Bronco II transmission is geared lower & the "Exploder" is unstoppable in 4wd Low when going offroad in mud, water, you name it. Awesome truck! It goes anywhere & takes a good beating! I put offroad 31" tires on it, & without a lift she still goes just about every place my buddies go with their lifted Rangers w/ 33's. Plus the 4.0 motor knocks their 2.9's outta the water on the highway. (:-D)

Favorite Features

Real solid body. Had a Pathfinder w/ 255,000 miles, still runs great but body rusted away to nothing. Explorer has 4 times as many layers of metal. 4.0 motor is the best feature, runs like a champ and gives ya plenty of juice when ya need it.

Suggested Improvements

Well, its actually backwards. All the "improvements" to the newer Explorers make them less offroad capable & so fancy shmancy that ya can't beat'em without some important plastic thing breaking. Plus, forget trying to repair a newer one yourself ...t he old ones are a heck of lot easier to work on.

Irreplaceable
By desert rat

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had my Explorer about 6 years. Outside of a few mechanical problems which may be expected by the time a vehicle reaches 130,000, I have no complaints. I take it to rugged and remote desert areas with confidence, sleep in the back when I camp, haul plywood, lumber, bricks, plants, fertilizer, furniture and occasionally even people in the back and it is big enough and strong enough to handle them all and I can still turn on a dime and 4WD it through narrow places where the big ones can't go. It is a true SUV; its utility is excellent. I'd buy a new SUV but NOBODY makes a vehicle that puts it all together like my Explorer -- believe me, I've looked at them all.

Favorite Features

Versatility, utility, 4WD, turning radius and fold-down-flat-and-out-of- the-way rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality door hinges.

The Best Explorer EVER!
By Mrs. M

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2 door, 4WD Eddie Bauer Explorer as a birthday present to myself, and it has been a gift that keeps on giving! Hands down, the most comfortable, reliable, versatile rig I've ever owned, and it still looks good going down the road. Both of my kids learned to drive in it, and it never even balked at the abuse. (Of course they abused it! They are kids!) It is now pushing 200,000 miles, and I am agonizing over if I should prepare to rebuild her or move on. Even the newer Explorers aren't the rig this one is. As long as I can keep it on the road, it has a home with me.

Favorite Features

It performs equally well in the highway, in town, or on back mountain roads. I am safe and comfortable anywhere I go. It is reasonable to maintain, and has never let me down. The leather is bombproof! If you knew me, you'd know that driving a 15 year old car isn't my style, but I'm keeping this one.

Suggested Improvements

A little more 'cush' on the back seats would be nice, but it is a long way from unbearable.