1991 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Built Ford Tough
By Ford Tough on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought Used, Replaced Clutch First Thing. Used as Salesmans / Deliver Truck, Always Overloaded by alot!!!! Always been reliable, just normal wear items replaced and normal service. Used to teach son how to drive w/clutch and towed behind motor home on vacation, now pushing 200m and still going strong!!!

Love the explorer
By keithsndebs on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our explorer used from friends of ours, and were really unsure about owning an SUV. But now that I've had it for 2 years, I will certainly buy another one once in the car market. It has been very dependable, fun to drive and a handy vehicle in the snow. I've driven it everywhere from the upper east coast to deep south, and it has always got us where we needed to go.

Had it for 12 years and still enjoy it
By rrenner on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this car new in 1991 and it has served us well since then. It's been up and down the east coast twice and used virtually every day since it was new. After some initial problems with bushings - repaired under warranty - it has been remarkably trouble- free. Replaced A/C after 5 years. With a 5- speed, it's still fun to drive. Gas gauge has been broken for w few years; I just reset the trip meter. The center armrest broke recently - a common problem. I replaced it with a good match. I want a new car, but will miss this one.

Loved it, but hated transmission
By Tibbels30 on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used Oct 4,2001. Broke down December 24th (lovely christmas present) 2001. The transmission went out. Come to find out the dealership put a used transmission in it in September. We made them put in another transmission (used again) around the end of Jan 2002 and it also went out in about 120 days (after the 100 day warrenty expired) Now it sits and the finance company doesn't even want it back!! I was told that transmissions in Explorers go out all the time, exspecially before the put in the newer ones in 1994. Do I dare buy another?? I cant deciede. Good luck to anyone who buys under 1995.

Only thing to drive
By TeresaD on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used with 118,000 - all highway miles! Since then, I am still driving the thing and have 195,000 miles with more to go. Yes it has had its share of problems - primarily electrical, but nothing major. Leaks, yes, but what do you expect with that many miles. I'd drive it from coast to coast & never bat an eye. Like it so much, keeping it & buying another Explorer!

1991 Ford Explorer
By Explorer on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Been a very dependable and enjoyable vehicle. With special emphasis on usefulness....makes life easy running errands and carrying family.

Very good fun to drive
By lovemyrig on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Got the explorer at about 63000 and besides the dealership not doing the work they were suppose to and making us pay for it nothing has gone wrong and being a teenager im a little harder on it . i go off roading in it and the only problem is i have to repack my bearings a little more often.starts everytime tows and hauls anything i have not enough room to say all good stuff even for 166000+ miles

Overview of an inspiring vehicle.
By Presrvd on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

I purchased my Explorer from my girlfriend's father who bought it right out of the factory in April of '91. It only has 105,335 miles on it because he always telecommutes, but is truly a beautiful vehicle.

Stay Away
By BrianV on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This car only lasted about 60K miles. It had been the the dealer many times for things like radiators, a/c's, suspension, etc. Most expensive car I've ever owned, and the 160HP engine just doesn't get the job done. 4x4 system is decent but not that great. JBL stereo was good for its time. The bad experience with this car is what convinced me to buy my first Japanese car, a 1998 4runner limited 4x4 (which is light years better then this car).

Overall, Not happy
By Kirby on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle from the original owner in 2000 and have had nothing but problems with it. I now understand why the owners were selling. Within a month, I had to replace the exhaust. Over the two summers that I've owned it, I have had repairs done to the air conditioning system and on top of that, had to deal with recalls. Don't even get me started on the leaks! Oil, fuel and transmission. Anybody interested in 1991 Explorer? I'm looking to get rid of it!