1991 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
I like it!
By desertamber on 07/05/06 21:13 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

Well since we bought it a few years back, it's actually been a great vehicle. I've only had to replace the brakes once and now the clutch is starting to go...my fault. I was real bad at driving a clutch back then.

Can't stop a Ford
By Ford Tough on 01/26/06 10:11 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given my '91 Explorer from a friend. The car had been sitting for 2 years without the doors even being opened, much less started. I opened the door cleaned the battery terminals and cranked the car, it started right up and has ever since. It's amazing after sitting neglected that long it started right up and I detailed it and it came clean and the paint even shines as does the leather. It's an amazing car; I got mine for free but I'd recommend anyone buy an Explorer!

an Oldie but a Goodie
By Ford guy on 01/05/06 19:13 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV

My Explorer originally had an automatic transmission and drove great. Transmission blew up going up a steep highway hill (my own fault for NOT replacing the black fluid) & a buddy of mine & I wound up getting a manual from a Bronco II at a junkyard and converted it over. Well she's got PLENTY of power now ... the Bronco II transmission is geared lower & the "Exploder" is unstoppable in 4wd Low when going offroad in mud, water, you name it. Awesome truck! It goes anywhere & takes a good beating! I put offroad 31" tires on it, & without a lift she still goes just about every place my buddies go with their lifted Rangers w/ 33's. Plus the 4.0 motor knocks their 2.9's outta the water on the highway. (:-D)

Irreplaceable
By desert rat on 11/28/05 00:41 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had my Explorer about 6 years. Outside of a few mechanical problems which may be expected by the time a vehicle reaches 130,000, I have no complaints. I take it to rugged and remote desert areas with confidence, sleep in the back when I camp, haul plywood, lumber, bricks, plants, fertilizer, furniture and occasionally even people in the back and it is big enough and strong enough to handle them all and I can still turn on a dime and 4WD it through narrow places where the big ones can't go. It is a true SUV; its utility is excellent. I'd buy a new SUV but NOBODY makes a vehicle that puts it all together like my Explorer -- believe me, I've looked at them all.

The Best Explorer EVER!
By Mrs. M on 08/22/05 16:05 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2 door, 4WD Eddie Bauer Explorer as a birthday present to myself, and it has been a gift that keeps on giving! Hands down, the most comfortable, reliable, versatile rig I've ever owned, and it still looks good going down the road. Both of my kids learned to drive in it, and it never even balked at the abuse. (Of course they abused it! They are kids!) It is now pushing 200,000 miles, and I am agonizing over if I should prepare to rebuild her or move on. Even the newer Explorers aren't the rig this one is. As long as I can keep it on the road, it has a home with me.

Good ol' Explorer
By Mississippi Jon on 01/21/05 17:33 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

I bought it when it had 80K miles of city driving on it. I now have nearly 200K miles, and have only had to rebuild the transmission, and change the water pump. It is a great road vehicle, gets 22 mpg, and looks fine. I painted it just to get the corporate colors off of it when I bought it from a company rep. It has been one of the best vehicles I have owned.

reliable
By martino on 12/28/04 10:07 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new in 1991. After some warranty problems with wiring and dead batteries; no major problems. I now have 199,000 miles and still take it on long trips. Interior is falling apart. Thinking about retiring it and mounting a snowplow.

More Problems More Money !!!
By MoonNStarsGirl on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Well I bought it with 115,000 miles on it. So far I have replaced the Gas tank, Starter, entire exhaust system, 4 wheel drive doesn't work anymore, LOTS of rust, Leaks to name a few power steering,oil,gas.... The brake caliburs went this week and the list goes on !!!!!

Reliable
By JK in CA on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my EB Explorer for over 13 years, and it has been extremely reliable. Had some expensive warranty work many years ago. Only problem now is that sometimes the transmission "sticks" when I put it in reverse on cold wet winter mornings in CA. I cope with that by driving forward a foot or so, and then putting it into reverse. Paint is oxidizing on the roof due to hot CA summers.

Fun 4-wheel drive
By Nate J on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have totally tried to break my 91 explorer by dragging it through the mudd, crossing rivers, and racing chevy's. After all the things that i did to that thing it just keeps coming back for more. My explorer has about 180,000 miles and the only 2 problems that it had was the paint was faded due to the south carolina sun and the lifter tick. these were both easy fixes (i.e. some paint and a bottle of cd-2 lifter quiet.).