Used 1991 Ford Explorer XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1991 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

d@#m good truck
By gary

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

great truck no problems. all most 400000 miles on it and going strong never had any work done to it. i bought this suv as a beater car just to hold me over but it wont quit. i drive it ever day use it to tow my boat and trailer i even towed a friends chev pickup 1 hour to his house!

Favorite Features

head room

Suggested Improvements

a bit of a bumpy ride. the drivers seat cushion needs replacing at 380,000miles.^_^lol

It just won't die
By AJ

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

I never thought the thing would be so reliable, but with over 200,000 I keep hoping that the thing will die so that I can get a new ride. It just keeps on running! I've owned it for 5 years and 60,000 miles and have never had to replace anything major. I've driven it on several 1000 mile trips. It has lots of little stuff wrong with it like the power windows and oil leak and engine tap (which is at least 5 yrs old too), but it starts up every time even when it's 10 degrees. The fuel mileage on hwy is better than most new SUVs (22mpg), and the thing does real nice off road and its only a 2WD. I've been in and out of many places in this thing that I should never have been it without 4WD.

Favorite Features

Off-road ability despite only 2WD, reliability and consistency, fuel mileage on open road, cargo room

Suggested Improvements

A lot of the early Explorers have lifters that get warped. Mine has this tap for years but it has not affected the performance of the vehicle. It sounds pretty bad though, like someone is tapping the engine block with a hammer!

I like it!
By desertamber

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

Well since we bought it a few years back, it's actually been a great vehicle. I've only had to replace the brakes once and now the clutch is starting to go...my fault. I was real bad at driving a clutch back then.

Favorite Features

Most everything.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior paint could have been better. It's starting to have some real bad oxidation.

Good ol' Explorer
By Mississippi Jon

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

I bought it when it had 80K miles of city driving on it. I now have nearly 200K miles, and have only had to rebuild the transmission, and change the water pump. It is a great road vehicle, gets 22 mpg, and looks fine. I painted it just to get the corporate colors off of it when I bought it from a company rep. It has been one of the best vehicles I have owned.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, large volume, visibility, power and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Make the new ones as good as this one has been.

Overview of an inspiring vehicle.
By Presrvd

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

I purchased my Explorer from my girlfriend's father who bought it right out of the factory in April of '91. It only has 105,335 miles on it because he always telecommutes, but is truly a beautiful vehicle.

Favorite Features

I had to install an MP3 player, but everything else is still stock, and working perfectly.

Suggested Improvements

I only have 1 cupholder =(. No clue why. And no cruise control or rear windshield wiper.