1991 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Good Enough
By 73Elsinore on 09/04/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with 135,000 miles on it and it now has over 220,000. It is still going strong and is completely reliable. Mine has the 5- speed manual. Besides normal maintenance items (brakes, clutch, tires, etc.) I have had to replace both cylinder heads (they cracked - a very common known defect in this particular Ford engine) and the A/C condenser ($450). Besides that, no other repairs. I have off-roaded it many times and it has always done well. It doesn't have much pickup off the line at all. Mileage is crappy, at 14 city/20 hwy. With the new heads, it does not use a drop of oil, which is unusual at this mileage, so the bottom end of the engine is bulletproof.

Best car ever
By fordforlife on 05/01/09 22:07 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know raves about a 91 might not seem relevant to newer model purchasers, but I wanted to weigh in on the quality of Ford trucks. My family has never owned another brand. I'm the original owner of this Explorer, it has over 210,000 (hard) miles on it, and the alternator -- which went out last winter -- is the only major thing I've ever had to replace/fix on it. The power windows are starting to malfunction, but the ac/heater works fine, so I compensate. I want a new car, because I'm starting to hesitate to take this one on long road trips (still 4x in it though), but feel duty bound to run it into the ground first. I might actually cry when I have to let it go.

The best vehicle I have ever owned!
By Chuck Truck on 05/09/08 22:07 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Ford Explorer is incredible! I have owned it for ten years now! It is a wonderful vehicle. As legend has it "Chuck" was one of the first manual transmission Ford Explorers to come off the assembly line back in June of 1990. The previous owner, a good friend of the family, heard from the dealer that this Explorer's manual transmission was hand built. And talk about craftsmanship! With over 200,000 km on him (he was purchased in Canada) he is still on his original clutch! Amazing! Even more amazing considering I learned to drive a stick shift using him! He can haul cartons, kids, groceries and everything in between. And so easy for a do-it- yourselfer to repair!

Can't stop a Ford
By Ford Tough on 01/26/06 10:11 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given my '91 Explorer from a friend. The car had been sitting for 2 years without the doors even being opened, much less started. I opened the door cleaned the battery terminals and cranked the car, it started right up and has ever since. It's amazing after sitting neglected that long it started right up and I detailed it and it came clean and the paint even shines as does the leather. It's an amazing car; I got mine for free but I'd recommend anyone buy an Explorer!

Irreplaceable
By desert rat on 11/28/05 00:41 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had my Explorer about 6 years. Outside of a few mechanical problems which may be expected by the time a vehicle reaches 130,000, I have no complaints. I take it to rugged and remote desert areas with confidence, sleep in the back when I camp, haul plywood, lumber, bricks, plants, fertilizer, furniture and occasionally even people in the back and it is big enough and strong enough to handle them all and I can still turn on a dime and 4WD it through narrow places where the big ones can't go. It is a true SUV; its utility is excellent. I'd buy a new SUV but NOBODY makes a vehicle that puts it all together like my Explorer -- believe me, I've looked at them all.

reliable
By martino on 12/28/04 10:07 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new in 1991. After some warranty problems with wiring and dead batteries; no major problems. I now have 199,000 miles and still take it on long trips. Interior is falling apart. Thinking about retiring it and mounting a snowplow.

Only thing to drive
By TeresaD on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used with 118,000 - all highway miles! Since then, I am still driving the thing and have 195,000 miles with more to go. Yes it has had its share of problems - primarily electrical, but nothing major. Leaks, yes, but what do you expect with that many miles. I'd drive it from coast to coast & never bat an eye. Like it so much, keeping it & buying another Explorer!

Les' Explorer
By Les on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent vechile. With regular/routine servicing I was able to achieve 195,000 mile with no major failures. The only problem has been with the clear coat paint on the hood and top dulling.

I've been converted...
By superman90000 on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I haven't had my explorer for very long, but let me say, I love it. I've heard a lot of crap about Fords, but my explorer has over 150,000 miles and it's running great. It's excellant off road, I even showed my friends cherokee up with it last week. It's very comfortable, great for long road trips. I'd deffinatly recomend an explorer to my friend.

nothing but trouble
By john kiernan on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

ever since I bought my 91 explorer I've had nothing but headaches with it.first it was the fuel relay sensor that went then 2 brake lines, then the ignition shroud is shot and last but not least I had to replace the front end upper and lower ball joints and the tie rod arms.and just tonight it started making grinding noises in the front as i was turning a corner....what a piece of crap!