1991 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Built Ford Tough
By Ford Tough on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought Used, Replaced Clutch First Thing. Used as Salesmans / Deliver Truck, Always Overloaded by alot!!!! Always been reliable, just normal wear items replaced and normal service. Used to teach son how to drive w/clutch and towed behind motor home on vacation, now pushing 200m and still going strong!!!

1991 Ford Explorer
By Explorer on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Been a very dependable and enjoyable vehicle. With special emphasis on usefulness....makes life easy running errands and carrying family.

exceeded my expectations
By hugo w on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

A forerunner in the fledgling SUV arena at the time and compared with present day technology and comfort, the 91'Explorer is primitive in comparison to the multitude now available. I did not expect my Ford to last as long as it has. I have just rolled over 220,000 on the same engine and only had to replace the transmission - and that was because I never changed the transmission oil. My success in reaching over 200,000 miles in a Ford is due, I believe, to religiously changing the oil every 3,000 miles. I was so impressed with my Ford I have just purchased a 2001 Expedition. My Explorer was a great buy!

4WD Dog
By bacanora joe on 03/10/02 18:22 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

The 4WD has gone 3 times. The vacuum hoses pop off regularly. The tranny left at 70,000. The front end is a joke. There is always a shimmy. Service has only been acceptable at a local garage. The engine has been good to here, but shouldn't something last on this doghouse?