Used 1991 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

d@#m good truck
By gary

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

great truck no problems. all most 400000 miles on it and going strong never had any work done to it. i bought this suv as a beater car just to hold me over but it wont quit. i drive it ever day use it to tow my boat and trailer i even towed a friends chev pickup 1 hour to his house!

head room

a bit of a bumpy ride. the drivers seat cushion needs replacing at 380,000miles.^_^lol

Good Enough
By 73Elsinore

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with 135,000 miles on it and it now has over 220,000. It is still going strong and is completely reliable. Mine has the 5- speed manual. Besides normal maintenance items (brakes, clutch, tires, etc.) I have had to replace both cylinder heads (they cracked - a very common known defect in this particular Ford engine) and the A/C condenser ($450). Besides that, no other repairs. I have off-roaded it many times and it has always done well. It doesn't have much pickup off the line at all. Mileage is crappy, at 14 city/20 hwy. With the new heads, it does not use a drop of oil, which is unusual at this mileage, so the bottom end of the engine is bulletproof.

Good interior fit and finish. Still looks great after 18 years and no busted parts, like on a GM or Asian car.

Improve the horrible cylinder head design. Brakes stink.

Best car ever
By fordforlife

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know raves about a 91 might not seem relevant to newer model purchasers, but I wanted to weigh in on the quality of Ford trucks. My family has never owned another brand. I'm the original owner of this Explorer, it has over 210,000 (hard) miles on it, and the alternator -- which went out last winter -- is the only major thing I've ever had to replace/fix on it. The power windows are starting to malfunction, but the ac/heater works fine, so I compensate. I want a new car, because I'm starting to hesitate to take this one on long road trips (still 4x in it though), but feel duty bound to run it into the ground first. I might actually cry when I have to let it go.

4WD. Reliability. Size -- back before Ford started making the Explorer huge for no reason. Fun to drive. Big enough for dogs and friends and tons of gear. Comfy seats. Can even sleep comfortably in it if need be (leaky tents, etc.)

none. best car ever.

It just won't die
By AJ

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

I never thought the thing would be so reliable, but with over 200,000 I keep hoping that the thing will die so that I can get a new ride. It just keeps on running! I've owned it for 5 years and 60,000 miles and have never had to replace anything major. I've driven it on several 1000 mile trips. It has lots of little stuff wrong with it like the power windows and oil leak and engine tap (which is at least 5 yrs old too), but it starts up every time even when it's 10 degrees. The fuel mileage on hwy is better than most new SUVs (22mpg), and the thing does real nice off road and its only a 2WD. I've been in and out of many places in this thing that I should never have been it without 4WD.

Off-road ability despite only 2WD, reliability and consistency, fuel mileage on open road, cargo room

A lot of the early Explorers have lifters that get warped. Mine has this tap for years but it has not affected the performance of the vehicle. It sounds pretty bad though, like someone is tapping the engine block with a hammer!

One great truck
By Jon

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought mine for only $600. After I replaced everything in the front brakes and put in a new starter solenoid, the truck was awesome! The size is just right for my 6'3" height, styling is attractive, and the interior is well laid out. The OHV 4.0 litre V6 has plenty of torque to climb hills and power the 4500 lb. SUV off road. The fold flat seating is very handy and practically turns the back of the Explorer into a cargo cave. Since I bought it, the 4WD shift motor has gone out (a very common problem with Explorers and Rangers, but an easy fix). At this point, the next step is to only make it better with aftermarket suspension and accessories.

Overall size inside and out, torquey V6, excellent sound quality from premium factory sound system, removable sunroof, adjustable lumbar and bolster support in seats, great off-road capability (especially with rear limited slip differential)

Heated leather seats! I freeze my but off in the winter when I first get in! Rear disc brakes.