2003 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Great Explorer Sport
By LifeGuardGuy248 on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my explorer for only a week and love it. I've put 500 miles on it so far. The gas milage isn't that great, but the power and looks make up for it. I've got the optional sunroof and cloth seats that will be perfect for going to college. The ride isn't as smooth as my mom's Crown VIcotira, but her car can't pull 4000 pounds.

Not Bad...
By Sporty James on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice truck over all. Happy with the purchase.

Bad first impression
By waynercanada on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first and last Ford SUV I will own. The poor quality of the vehicle was magnified by the uncooperative and unhelpful dealership. The vehicle handles poorly in moderate winter conditions and fuel economy has decreased significantly over the last year. The vehicle was never driven off road and is well maintained;however that did not help prevent having to replace both front ball joints, rear wiper,and rear bumper (due to rust) to name a few problems. I have owned this vehicle slightly over a year and now want to rid of it.

LOVE IT!
By hokeez on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It reminds a little more of a truck than an SUV, but with all the comfort features, its the best of both. Plenty of room for loading and moving things!

Nice XLT Ex-Track
By mad greek on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck does wonders for my profesional and private life

explorer sport
By regwaw on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

The exterior is great. The interior is ok. Nice engine

FIRST FORD FOR ME
By UncleB on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Ford Vehicle. I was very surprised that Edmunds gave this vehicle a bad review. I had a blazer before this one. It has GREAT pickup and off road capability. I took through 10 inches of mud with no problem. In fact, I pulled out a Nissan Xterra that was stuck. The gas mileage is ok for a SUV; the back end does slip or kick out sometimes. It made me nervous at first but this truck is both very safe and FUN to drive. I get a lot of looks in it when it is all waxed up. Be sure to haggle when you buy it. I shopped around a lot and Dollar for Dollar this was the best buy. It is a great truck. I used to HATE Fords. But this one is a keeper.

defect
By David P Brown on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

air comes in from front speakers... in the winter it's bad.... Ford will do nothing to correct problem.... just walked away... it's just to bad.... Dealer spent a lot of time but can't fix... It's a design problem.... I have owned Ford's for 25 years NO MORE...

built ford tough
By nomoregm on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i owned two explorer sports in 98 then went to a f150 to big for what i need bought a 2002 monte carlo ss what a cheap peice of crap traded in on a 2003 exp sport xlt this is my third one. i love it its a very well built vehicle.i bought the silver birch metallic with medium/dark flint two-tone leather.the 4.0 v6 with 3.73 axle moves this truck with ease and stops with ease with the big 12" brakes. handles very well for what it is. the 101" wheelbase is a little short so ride does suffer a bit. but interior is very comfortable w/heated lumbar seats that slide up easy for back seat passengers. shift on fly 4wd is excellent for bad weather.

My best ford yet
By B Hubert on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tow a 19' boat often and is easy to maneuver at any ramp. Best suv Ford since the Bronco II....my Bii has 206,000 miles on same drive train, no oil use and still get 20 mpg.