2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
I like it
By Flaford on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Premium Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this vehicle and found both the dealership staff and the quality of Ford to have improved remakably since I last bought a Ford.

Excellent Vehicle
By THuot on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Rides beautifully. Great transmission. Plenty of power and very good gas mileage for a vehicle of this type. Over 16000 miles and not a rattle in it.

Great value for the price
By fordguy80 on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very roomy SUV. I purchased the 5 speed model and am very impressed with the pick-up power it has off the line and passing power on the highway.The feul economy is not everything i would like it to be, but this also isnt a small vehicle. The design is very sporty and i get compliments on its appearance all the time. Overall im very happy with ford on this one.

EXPLORE THIS!!!!
By Gootz on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great all around SUV. Tows 2 seadoos no problem, tows 2 sleds no problem, tows my 22 ft. boat no problem, you can't really even feel it back there, and the ride quality is great

a little touch up work
By blondi on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had this vehicle for 4 months, so far no problems mechanically. The driver side seat rubs against the center console and squeeks, and the pink stuffing inside is already coming out on the carpet below. The passenger side seat is already tearing on the corner, and this is barely ever used.

The seats and exterior are best points
By PEP on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We drive the explorer back and forth from AZ to CA. Great comfortable front seats, usually gets just over 20 mpg. 4 doors are more convenient but I like the look and solid feel of the 2 door. I get lots of compliments on the metallic red color.

Explorer Sport XLT Premium
By JamesC on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Edmunds thinks this vehicle is a little long in the tooth, but for me that means reliability. The drive train has been around for over ten years, so we think we'll have few problems. This is our second Explorer Sport, and we love it. I'm 6'2" and I'm comfortable driving it. My wife likes the conveniences of an SUV. Yeah the fuel economy could be better, but you don't buy an SUV for fuel econmy.

So far so good!
By SportDriver on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Haven't finished going through the "break-in" period with the truck yet, so my rating may be a little premature, but I digress... From past experience driving Expos with the SOHC V6, I know power delivery is and will be outstanding! Seats feel good, though the headrests are waaay too low. Lotsa storage space, and the truck feels generally well screwed together, though the long-term quality outlook still has me sweating... Overall, if this type of rugged truck- based vehicle appeals to you, and you find the right price, than I heartily reccomend the Explorer Sport (at least till year's end when Im told they're being canceled...)

Ford Explorer Sport
By sara on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Premium Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Suv is okay!!

LEMON with NO AID
By Audwea on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Within the first year, due to or because of the poor quality parts, the interior back seats began rattling/shaking;the back seats a very rarely used. The console rattles and shakes. At 40,000 miles and a year later, I now experience major transmission problems. The automatic transmission doesn't shift smoothly from first to second gear. Within 15 minutes the more exaggerated and predominant the shift, eventually throwing the vehicle out of overdrive on its own.