Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Love this thing!
By nissianjeff

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got the 5 speed model. Love it! So much fun to drive. Bit bumpy tho in town. Wish it had a bigger tank. gettin right at 15MPH. Good stereo and speakers, ice cold AC too! Power windows, locks, etc. Its black and I decked it out with a lot of crome options, step bars, mirrows, outside door handles, fuel door cover, etc. Looks great! Get lots of compliments on it all the time. Added the windows awnings, bug sheild too. Its quite a looker! I wouldn't have liked it near as much with the auto tranny tho, I'm sure! Love the 5 speed!

Stereo/CD changer, 5 speed tranny, power equipment, and the sun roof.

A bigger tank, definitely!

03 Explorer Sport
By mark

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good trip car with lots of room for 2 and all the junk you can take with you. Will tow a 20 ft boat or car with ease. I usually leave the back seat down for hockey gear supplys bags camping gear. Gets about 22 miles per on the road with a heavy foot. iIs' pretty spunky with over 200 hp will turn on a dime and give 8 cent change. Desperately needed better handling tires, useing duellers HP only true hr rated tires for the truck, stays flatter in turns and stops in the rain. Only downfall is little wind noise at hiway speeds and takes two hands to lower the back seats. Older ones could do it with one hand and thats the only complaints with the vehicle had a 91 eddie bauer 2dr before and it was great

Sunroof, leather heated power seats, turning radius like no others, nice motor for this size of truck, will tow anything, very comfortable on trips of 1000 miles

Use the one handed rear seat lowering of the older 91 style. Could be a llittle quieter on the road but it's great little truck

I don't hear much about mechanical issues
By Carol

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I don't drive my vehicle hard by any means yet I have had numerous brake problems, ex. rotors and calipers replaced on a vehicle that was only two years old at the time. I have had a windshield leak in the drivers side corner which the dealer could not seem to fix. My brother actually took it to work one day and fixed it for me. I have had the rear wiper motor quit after one year and I barely used it. I hear squeaks and rubbing all the time when I am slowing down to stop yet the dealer cannot find where any noise is coming from. Buy another Ford, I think not! And this was the first brand new vehicle I ever purchased. Older models certainly were made better than the stuff out there now.

Looks

Bigger gas tank, better mileage, longer lasting brake components

Rated my Explorer
By George Amick

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

At first I wanted a 4WD, but after driving around 2 states for 7 months, it performed great. No problems as of yet!

DVD,CD and am/fm radio. All in the same vehicle.

The cloth seating could be more comfortable.The drivers seat needs to move back another 6" for people with longer legs.

It rolled over and died :(
By yvette

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this Explorer in 03. It averaged about 20 MPG (which, I think, is more than advertised). It was a little rattly - random noises that I didn't know where they were coming from. It drove well. I think the clutch was maybe starting to go out? It sometimes didn't want me to shift into 1st. But this last weekend it rolled - quite easily I might add. Though it is totaled, all passengers (including my puppy) are ok. So I guess that's a positive point about the car - it didn't kill us. The seatbelts held strong, and the frame didn't crush in too badly around us.

It was a cute, sporty little SUV. I never had any major problems with it. Great visibility. Great turning radius.

Drivers seat was uncomfortable on long trips (lower back). Much too easy to roll. I guess it needs a wider wheel base, lower center of gravity - something.