Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

I kept this car
By kc2portland

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first automobile that I have kept for more than 3 or 4 years. It is very reliable. I get regular oil changes and scheduled maintainence and I have not had any problems with this vehicle. It does suck the gas a little, but since I don't have any mechanical problems, nor car payments, it doesn't seem reasonable to me to trade it in.

I like the leg room in the front and the seats are more comfortable than you might expect. I don't seem to have any issues with "blind spots"

With only 2 doors, the front passenger seat is a pain to move up to put children in the back.

Private use
By Art

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle to use specially here in New York where the roads have holes and bumps all over the place. It is very comfortable and very secure. I have not had any issues with it whatsoever. Very dependeble and a lot of power. It does spend some gas but if you take in consideration that I have not spend any money to the mechanic it makes it worth it. I do take care of it by doing the regular mantaince schedule.

Lots of power. Great braking power. Power everything, keypad entry (you don't have to cary your key) cruise, etc.

It would be nice if it had better seats meaning more appealing for the eyes but they are extremely comfortable. And if it was someway how more fuel efficient would been great.

Love this thing!
By nissianjeff

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got the 5 speed model. Love it! So much fun to drive. Bit bumpy tho in town. Wish it had a bigger tank. gettin right at 15MPH. Good stereo and speakers, ice cold AC too! Power windows, locks, etc. Its black and I decked it out with a lot of crome options, step bars, mirrows, outside door handles, fuel door cover, etc. Looks great! Get lots of compliments on it all the time. Added the windows awnings, bug sheild too. Its quite a looker! I wouldn't have liked it near as much with the auto tranny tho, I'm sure! Love the 5 speed!

Stereo/CD changer, 5 speed tranny, power equipment, and the sun roof.

A bigger tank, definitely!

03 Explorer Sport
By mark

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good trip car with lots of room for 2 and all the junk you can take with you. Will tow a 20 ft boat or car with ease. I usually leave the back seat down for hockey gear supplys bags camping gear. Gets about 22 miles per on the road with a heavy foot. iIs' pretty spunky with over 200 hp will turn on a dime and give 8 cent change. Desperately needed better handling tires, useing duellers HP only true hr rated tires for the truck, stays flatter in turns and stops in the rain. Only downfall is little wind noise at hiway speeds and takes two hands to lower the back seats. Older ones could do it with one hand and thats the only complaints with the vehicle had a 91 eddie bauer 2dr before and it was great

Sunroof, leather heated power seats, turning radius like no others, nice motor for this size of truck, will tow anything, very comfortable on trips of 1000 miles

Use the one handed rear seat lowering of the older 91 style. Could be a llittle quieter on the road but it's great little truck

I don't hear much about mechanical issues
By Carol

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I don't drive my vehicle hard by any means yet I have had numerous brake problems, ex. rotors and calipers replaced on a vehicle that was only two years old at the time. I have had a windshield leak in the drivers side corner which the dealer could not seem to fix. My brother actually took it to work one day and fixed it for me. I have had the rear wiper motor quit after one year and I barely used it. I hear squeaks and rubbing all the time when I am slowing down to stop yet the dealer cannot find where any noise is coming from. Buy another Ford, I think not! And this was the first brand new vehicle I ever purchased. Older models certainly were made better than the stuff out there now.

Looks

Bigger gas tank, better mileage, longer lasting brake components