2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Private use
By Art on 06/02/08 12:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle to use specially here in New York where the roads have holes and bumps all over the place. It is very comfortable and very secure. I have not had any issues with it whatsoever. Very dependeble and a lot of power. It does spend some gas but if you take in consideration that I have not spend any money to the mechanic it makes it worth it. I do take care of it by doing the regular mantaince schedule.

03 Explorer Sport
By mark on 09/21/07 05:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good trip car with lots of room for 2 and all the junk you can take with you. Will tow a 20 ft boat or car with ease. I usually leave the back seat down for hockey gear supplys bags camping gear. Gets about 22 miles per on the road with a heavy foot. iIs' pretty spunky with over 200 hp will turn on a dime and give 8 cent change. Desperately needed better handling tires, useing duellers HP only true hr rated tires for the truck, stays flatter in turns and stops in the rain. Only downfall is little wind noise at hiway speeds and takes two hands to lower the back seats. Older ones could do it with one hand and thats the only complaints with the vehicle had a 91 eddie bauer 2dr before and it was great

JB the Exlporer
By Jason Basaj on 03/10/05 17:49 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Explorer has been great smooth ride. But yet it's still rugged; the 4x4 is awesome here in Michigan. It has come in handy

Overall Good SUV
By wbjeffers on 11/17/04 16:51 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my explorer sport for almost a year now and have put 15,000 miles on it thus far. For a V6 with only 200 horsepower it moves when you punch it. The only complaint I have is that I kinda regret not getting the 4 doors for the added convenience but I am happy with it. It's been reliable and fun to drive. I average 20 mpg with combined city/highway driving. The 6-CD player works great and have had no mechanical problems at all. Ford does make a good SUV.

Great SUV
By blacksport on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced my former GM junk. Great pick up and nice lines. Pioneer sound system gives a great sound.

Really miss the 4 doors.
By blnewt on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Almost from the day we bought it we regretted not putting a bit extra aside for the 4 Door Explorer. Needless to say, we just traded our Sport in for a 2004 Explorer XLS, and are very happy w/ the decision, just so much more vehicle for the money.

Loved the first, hate the second
By So-So on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

On my second Sport, after enjoying number one, traded for number two. Sorry I did, quality is low, air conditioner has an inherent buzz and the attention to detail is at an all time low. Ford is really tying to save money so dealers are trying to keep warranty claims to a minimum. Squeak, rattles and rolls, it's a Ford.

Explrorer Sport
By FordExpSprt2003 on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i also have a ford expedition...but this little explorer can get me where i need to go in the city and do the job right....very handy...and fun to drive on weekends.

OK, but you'll want those 4 doors
By B Newton on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not a bad overall vehicle, but am really upset that I didn't pony up the extra 1500 for the 4dr model. The 2 door really does limit its appeal and resale plummets w/ the 2door compared to the 4dr model. Fun & quiet to drive, but the dinky gas tank always makes you on guard during long trips.

a little touch up work
By blondi on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had this vehicle for 4 months, so far no problems mechanically. The driver side seat rubs against the center console and squeeks, and the pink stuffing inside is already coming out on the carpet below. The passenger side seat is already tearing on the corner, and this is barely ever used.