2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Keep on Truckin'!
By jdoss1961

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this a couple of years ago at a buy here- pay here for way too much money, but I have been pleasantly surprised, at the reliability of this vehicle! I have had to do some repairs on it, but nothing major, driveshaft, hoses, and spark plugs, not much else! Not bad for an 11 year old Truck with 170,000 miles on it!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, parts are cheap, and it's easy to work on!

low maintenance & reliable vehicle
By capecodcuda

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

02/2011 i took my 2003 ford explorer xls sport in on trade, for a street bike i had on craigslist. its my daily driver. i driven it all around florida, with friends. it's very comfortable driving. i have a 5 speed manual & would have to admit it is fun to drive too. the 4.0L v6 has great power. especially, going through the 3:73 rear end in my truck. maintenance has been very minimal. i am mechanically incline. so, i service my own vehicles. i inspect it daily & services as needed. when i first got the truck i had several minor things to repair. due to previous owners neglect. one common problem with these vehicles is the coolant thermostat housing unit a dealer item $80. i would recommend!

Favorite Features

i like the look of the truck. 5 speed is a plus, in this vehicle. being able to flipping open the rear hatch window when hatch door is closed. cargo area d-hook tie down hooks mounted to the floor. all the parts are very cheap to buy for this vehicle. rear passenger windows vent open for rear passengers. all the cup holders. rear cargo area power lock switch, the courtesy 12v outlets. the removable rear cargo mat for easy washing at the carwash with the pressure washer. alot of people don't know it pops right out for easy clean :)~ the removable console tote bag. the durable interior finish thats easy to maintain. the popular 5"x4.5" 114.3mm wheel bolt pattern makes rim opinions endless :)

Suggested Improvements

overall great truck ... re-positioning the rear seat with two hands can be a pain. but, it's not really ... you have to hold the release lever as you pull on the cushion with your other hand ... no biggie! no power mirrors:(

I kept this car
By kc2portland

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first automobile that I have kept for more than 3 or 4 years. It is very reliable. I get regular oil changes and scheduled maintainence and I have not had any problems with this vehicle. It does suck the gas a little, but since I don't have any mechanical problems, nor car payments, it doesn't seem reasonable to me to trade it in.

Favorite Features

I like the leg room in the front and the seats are more comfortable than you might expect. I don't seem to have any issues with "blind spots"

Suggested Improvements

With only 2 doors, the front passenger seat is a pain to move up to put children in the back.

Love this thing!
By nissianjeff

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got the 5 speed model. Love it! So much fun to drive. Bit bumpy tho in town. Wish it had a bigger tank. gettin right at 15MPH. Good stereo and speakers, ice cold AC too! Power windows, locks, etc. Its black and I decked it out with a lot of crome options, step bars, mirrows, outside door handles, fuel door cover, etc. Looks great! Get lots of compliments on it all the time. Added the windows awnings, bug sheild too. Its quite a looker! I wouldn't have liked it near as much with the auto tranny tho, I'm sure! Love the 5 speed!

Favorite Features

Stereo/CD changer, 5 speed tranny, power equipment, and the sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

A bigger tank, definitely!

Rated my Explorer
By George Amick

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

At first I wanted a 4WD, but after driving around 2 states for 7 months, it performed great. No problems as of yet!

Favorite Features

DVD,CD and am/fm radio. All in the same vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The cloth seating could be more comfortable.The drivers seat needs to move back another 6" for people with longer legs.

It rolled over and died :(
By yvette

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this Explorer in 03. It averaged about 20 MPG (which, I think, is more than advertised). It was a little rattly - random noises that I didn't know where they were coming from. It drove well. I think the clutch was maybe starting to go out? It sometimes didn't want me to shift into 1st. But this last weekend it rolled - quite easily I might add. Though it is totaled, all passengers (including my puppy) are ok. So I guess that's a positive point about the car - it didn't kill us. The seatbelts held strong, and the frame didn't crush in too badly around us.

Favorite Features

It was a cute, sporty little SUV. I never had any major problems with it. Great visibility. Great turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat was uncomfortable on long trips (lower back). Much too easy to roll. I guess it needs a wider wheel base, lower center of gravity - something.

Still Going Strong!
By SportDriver1

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my Expo Sport (new) in July of 2003. With only 6500 or so miles on the odomoeter, the truck is still running like a champ. Overall, I find my SUV to be stylish, powerful and comfortable with a few notable, though perhaps obvious drawbacks. Foremost, the truck guzzles fuel! I currently average around 11-14 mpg! Further, my expo rattles and creaks like a piece of farming equipment. Positives? there are many. A smooth and powerful motor, great visibility, comfortable seats and a generally refined drving experience overall (minus the creaks & moans of course).

Favorite Features

Rugged styling, visibility, smooth and well-muted V6

Suggested Improvements

Improved cupholders, fewer rattles, larger gas-tank, better mileage (all of these were improved in 2002)

LEMON with NO AID
By Audwea

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Within the first year, due to or because of the poor quality parts, the interior back seats began rattling/shaking;the back seats a very rarely used. The console rattles and shakes. At 40,000 miles and a year later, I now experience major transmission problems. The automatic transmission doesn't shift smoothly from first to second gear. Within 15 minutes the more exaggerated and predominant the shift, eventually throwing the vehicle out of overdrive on its own.

My review!
By juliemarie

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Sport last August, and I love it! It's a pretty car(gold) and it's fun to drive. I always get comments on how nice it is, and how smooth it rides. I'm glad that I made this purchase.

Favorite Features

CD Player, cloth seats are comfortable, 6 way power seat, 1 touch windows

Suggested Improvements

It's a little hard to manuever b/c of the 2-door, but I'm a college student and didn't have a need for the 4 doors.