Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Excellent little SUV!!
By 19 Little One

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2003 2 door Explorer Sport in 2004 with 12,000 miles on it. It is now 2015 and it has over 250,000 miles on it. I would buy this vehicle over and over again. I take very good care of it, get my oil changed every 3,000 miles and my tires rotated every other oil change. Since I have owned this vehicle I have only had to replace my alternator. I have gone through 3 sets of tires... the first being Michelins from the factory, then I went with the cheap ones and did not like the ride at all so when those wore out I went back to the Michelins and got my smooth ride back! I just can't say enough good about this vehicle. Before I purchased this 2 door, I had a 4 door Ford Explorer when I had kids to haul all over the place and that was a charm of a SUV as well. When the kids flew the nest, I decided that I wanted just a little more of a sporty look, so I traded in my 4 door for the 2 door. I do not have 4 wheel drive and I live in Minnesota. I have been driving this vehicle for 11 years now and there hasn't been one time that I would have even used the 4 wheel drive. Love, Love Love this sporty looking SUV. Do not hesitate to purchase one if you get the chance to.

Private use
By Art

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle to use specially here in New York where the roads have holes and bumps all over the place. It is very comfortable and very secure. I have not had any issues with it whatsoever. Very dependeble and a lot of power. It does spend some gas but if you take in consideration that I have not spend any money to the mechanic it makes it worth it. I do take care of it by doing the regular mantaince schedule.

Lots of power. Great braking power. Power everything, keypad entry (you don't have to cary your key) cruise, etc.

It would be nice if it had better seats meaning more appealing for the eyes but they are extremely comfortable. And if it was someway how more fuel efficient would been great.

03 Explorer Sport
By mark

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good trip car with lots of room for 2 and all the junk you can take with you. Will tow a 20 ft boat or car with ease. I usually leave the back seat down for hockey gear supplys bags camping gear. Gets about 22 miles per on the road with a heavy foot. iIs' pretty spunky with over 200 hp will turn on a dime and give 8 cent change. Desperately needed better handling tires, useing duellers HP only true hr rated tires for the truck, stays flatter in turns and stops in the rain. Only downfall is little wind noise at hiway speeds and takes two hands to lower the back seats. Older ones could do it with one hand and thats the only complaints with the vehicle had a 91 eddie bauer 2dr before and it was great

Sunroof, leather heated power seats, turning radius like no others, nice motor for this size of truck, will tow anything, very comfortable on trips of 1000 miles

Use the one handed rear seat lowering of the older 91 style. Could be a llittle quieter on the road but it's great little truck

JB the Exlporer
By Jason Basaj

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Explorer has been great smooth ride. But yet it's still rugged; the 4x4 is awesome here in Michigan. It has come in handy

Favorite feature has got to be the 4x4.

Better gas mileage would be nice.

Overall Good SUV
By wbjeffers

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my explorer sport for almost a year now and have put 15,000 miles on it thus far. For a V6 with only 200 horsepower it moves when you punch it. The only complaint I have is that I kinda regret not getting the 4 doors for the added convenience but I am happy with it. It's been reliable and fun to drive. I average 20 mpg with combined city/highway driving. The 6-CD player works great and have had no mechanical problems at all. Ford does make a good SUV.

Engine and reliability

Better fuel mileage of course

• SUV