2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport
By davem2003 on 01/19/14 19:32 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport back in 2006 truck was 2.5 years old and had 32'000 Miles on it. I am a Heavy equipment mechanic so I service my own vehicles. regular oil changes every 3000 K, front rear diff t-case oil every 50'000 K, I have replaced brakes many of times approx. every 40'000K fronts and 60'000K rear, I tow a 3500 l b trailer a few times a year across country in summer rest of driving is around town, Truck now has 172'500 K on it and still runs well, I've also replaced the tires twice and battery once everything else is all original!! This vehicle does everything I ask for.

low maintenance & reliable vehicle
By capecodcuda on 08/31/11 21:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

02/2011 i took my 2003 ford explorer xls sport in on trade, for a street bike i had on craigslist. its my daily driver. i driven it all around florida, with friends. it's very comfortable driving. i have a 5 speed manual & would have to admit it is fun to drive too. the 4.0L v6 has great power. especially, going through the 3:73 rear end in my truck. maintenance has been very minimal. i am mechanically incline. so, i service my own vehicles. i inspect it daily & services as needed. when i first got the truck i had several minor things to repair. due to previous owners neglect. one common problem with these vehicles is the coolant thermostat housing unit a dealer item $80. i would recommend!

I kept this car
By kc2portland on 07/31/08 08:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first automobile that I have kept for more than 3 or 4 years. It is very reliable. I get regular oil changes and scheduled maintainence and I have not had any problems with this vehicle. It does suck the gas a little, but since I don't have any mechanical problems, nor car payments, it doesn't seem reasonable to me to trade it in.

Private use
By Art on 06/02/08 12:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle to use specially here in New York where the roads have holes and bumps all over the place. It is very comfortable and very secure. I have not had any issues with it whatsoever. Very dependeble and a lot of power. It does spend some gas but if you take in consideration that I have not spend any money to the mechanic it makes it worth it. I do take care of it by doing the regular mantaince schedule.

Love this thing!
By nissianjeff on 03/21/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got the 5 speed model. Love it! So much fun to drive. Bit bumpy tho in town. Wish it had a bigger tank. gettin right at 15MPH. Good stereo and speakers, ice cold AC too! Power windows, locks, etc. Its black and I decked it out with a lot of crome options, step bars, mirrows, outside door handles, fuel door cover, etc. Looks great! Get lots of compliments on it all the time. Added the windows awnings, bug sheild too. Its quite a looker! I wouldn't have liked it near as much with the auto tranny tho, I'm sure! Love the 5 speed!

03 Explorer Sport
By mark on 09/21/07 05:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good trip car with lots of room for 2 and all the junk you can take with you. Will tow a 20 ft boat or car with ease. I usually leave the back seat down for hockey gear supplys bags camping gear. Gets about 22 miles per on the road with a heavy foot. iIs' pretty spunky with over 200 hp will turn on a dime and give 8 cent change. Desperately needed better handling tires, useing duellers HP only true hr rated tires for the truck, stays flatter in turns and stops in the rain. Only downfall is little wind noise at hiway speeds and takes two hands to lower the back seats. Older ones could do it with one hand and thats the only complaints with the vehicle had a 91 eddie bauer 2dr before and it was great

I don't hear much about mechanical issues
By Carol on 03/30/07 10:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I don't drive my vehicle hard by any means yet I have had numerous brake problems, ex. rotors and calipers replaced on a vehicle that was only two years old at the time. I have had a windshield leak in the drivers side corner which the dealer could not seem to fix. My brother actually took it to work one day and fixed it for me. I have had the rear wiper motor quit after one year and I barely used it. I hear squeaks and rubbing all the time when I am slowing down to stop yet the dealer cannot find where any noise is coming from. Buy another Ford, I think not! And this was the first brand new vehicle I ever purchased. Older models certainly were made better than the stuff out there now.

Rated my Explorer
By George Amick on 03/01/07 12:19 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

At first I wanted a 4WD, but after driving around 2 states for 7 months, it performed great. No problems as of yet!

It rolled over and died :(
By yvette on 03/24/06 09:54 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this Explorer in 03. It averaged about 20 MPG (which, I think, is more than advertised). It was a little rattly - random noises that I didn't know where they were coming from. It drove well. I think the clutch was maybe starting to go out? It sometimes didn't want me to shift into 1st. But this last weekend it rolled - quite easily I might add. Though it is totaled, all passengers (including my puppy) are ok. So I guess that's a positive point about the car - it didn't kill us. The seatbelts held strong, and the frame didn't crush in too badly around us.

JB the Exlporer
By Jason Basaj on 03/10/05 17:49 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport SUV XLT Rwd 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Explorer has been great smooth ride. But yet it's still rugged; the 4x4 is awesome here in Michigan. It has come in handy