Off-road use
By rez driver on
2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
I have had this truck for over two years now. About 80% of the time off- road. When I first bought this truck I have been doing a lot of extreme off- roading with the stocked parts. It was OK the first summer the ride was very smooth over washboards then towards the fall season is when the smooth ride went away. Everytime I went over a washboard road the whole truck would shake! I have worn the suspension system to the max and never is it the same again. I have bought countless shocks and leaf springs but the smooth ride has not ever comeback. The truck is ok for the streets but is not very good for long periods of extreme off road use. Overall it is a great truck for highway use but not offroad.
Favorite Features
Using the automatic 4x4 switch with just turning the knob and tackling the challenge head on without stepping out of your vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
Better suspension! Stronger leaf springs and rear shocks, my truck is lower in the rear then it is in the front because the weak rear suspension this truck comes with.