Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

i cant believe I made it over 120,000
By nicoleot

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car brand new in August 2002. Still driving it. Have put a lot of highway miles. Things replaced, at 60K needed a new transmission. 70k needed a new a/c compresser. Changed brakes 2x. 2 fuel filters. The truck is not great on miles, but still runs. Yeah, the ride is bumpy but I plan to ride it to the ground. Hoping to get 150k on it. I did get better tires for it. Michel..LTX and that improved the ride. Very good with snow. If you own this car keep it. If you don't, I wouldn't go buy a new one. After 50K everything falls apart.

Realibility. Good handling when alignment is fixed

Considering it is a 2002 there are no bells and whistles. The front is very roomy. Hard to get spare tire out.

Not Happy at all!
By Laurie

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my Explorer and ever since I had it I was unhappy with it. I had to replace the front end, brakes, shocks, tires since Ive owned it, most within the first year of purchase. The thing I hate the most is its unstability in snow, The vehicle takes off on its own without warning leaving you in the ditch even in 4wd. I just don't feel safe in this vehicle and I am looking for something better.

Off-road use
By rez driver

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for over two years now. About 80% of the time off- road. When I first bought this truck I have been doing a lot of extreme off- roading with the stocked parts. It was OK the first summer the ride was very smooth over washboards then towards the fall season is when the smooth ride went away. Everytime I went over a washboard road the whole truck would shake! I have worn the suspension system to the max and never is it the same again. I have bought countless shocks and leaf springs but the smooth ride has not ever comeback. The truck is ok for the streets but is not very good for long periods of extreme off road use. Overall it is a great truck for highway use but not offroad.

Using the automatic 4x4 switch with just turning the knob and tackling the challenge head on without stepping out of your vehicle.

Better suspension! Stronger leaf springs and rear shocks, my truck is lower in the rear then it is in the front because the weak rear suspension this truck comes with.

My shopping buddy
By jo

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Explorer, when I first got it the transmission went out, but it was under warranty, no big deal and they gave me a loaner. The car runs very smooth for an SUV, its pretty quiet, seats are comfortable and anyone can fix it.

Well, of course lower gas mileage.

2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD Good so Far
By rdgalley

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

To date I have put just under 58000
miles on my Explorer. It has been very
relieable. The problems I have are
fairly minor. The transmission whines
a little on the shift from 1st to 2nd.
The cam chain tensioner makes a
rattling sound under load, and the trim
panel around the radio is peeling.
Other that those items I am happy with
my Explorer and hope to keep it until
150000 miles.

It is small with a lot of get up and go.

The interior is a bit plain, but compared to the Blazer the fit and finish is great.