Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Off-road use
By rez driver

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for over two years now. About 80% of the time off- road. When I first bought this truck I have been doing a lot of extreme off- roading with the stocked parts. It was OK the first summer the ride was very smooth over washboards then towards the fall season is when the smooth ride went away. Everytime I went over a washboard road the whole truck would shake! I have worn the suspension system to the max and never is it the same again. I have bought countless shocks and leaf springs but the smooth ride has not ever comeback. The truck is ok for the streets but is not very good for long periods of extreme off road use. Overall it is a great truck for highway use but not offroad.

Using the automatic 4x4 switch with just turning the knob and tackling the challenge head on without stepping out of your vehicle.

Better suspension! Stronger leaf springs and rear shocks, my truck is lower in the rear then it is in the front because the weak rear suspension this truck comes with.

My shopping buddy
By jo

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Explorer, when I first got it the transmission went out, but it was under warranty, no big deal and they gave me a loaner. The car runs very smooth for an SUV, its pretty quiet, seats are comfortable and anyone can fix it.

Well, of course lower gas mileage.

2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD Good so Far
By rdgalley

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

To date I have put just under 58000 miles on my Explorer. It has been very relieable. The problems I have are fairly minor. The transmission whines a little on the shift from 1st to 2nd. The cam chain tensioner makes a rattling sound under load, and the trim panel around the radio is peeling. Other that those items I am happy with my Explorer and hope to keep it until 150000 miles.

It is small with a lot of get up and go.

The interior is a bit plain, but compared to the Blazer the fit and finish is great.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By optimusbjork

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 2002 Exporer Sport after driving a Civic. While at the time, I thought I was upgrading, I soon came to regret my decision. The suspension is my main complaint. The ride is SO bumpy and the back will sway and shift if you hit a pot hole or large bump. Also, you can get blown around on the road if it's windy. Like any SUV, the fuel economy is awful. I do love the factory stereo, though, and the A/C blows very cold. I have not had any performance problems, and it runs excellent. I can't wait to get rid of it, though, and get something safer and more fuel efficient.

Excellent factory stereo and speakers, awesome A/C, keyless entry, excellent braking.

Suspension and fuel efficiency.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By kismet

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Suspension and fuel efficiency.