Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Fun to Drive
By nerd2z

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Even though it will only hold 2 people in the back seat, there is a ton of room up front and the cargo space is excellent. My dogs have had a blast in the back area! The truck drives very well on the highway and is very comfortable. I wish it got better gas mileage, but it is a truck with a good engine.

Styling and drive comfort.

Location of the switch for the rear window wiper is a reach when driving in traffic. Needs to be on other side of radio.

Adventure machine
By zealman

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle ROCKS! I've taken it all over Southern California - through the mountains, to the beaches, nice enough for downtown adventures too. the best all-around SUV available, and with plenty of power too. Average 20MPG.

Engine roar, accelleration, commanding view of the road.

My Review
By Sunwoshiper816

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle can take a beating. I have driven it on off-road, interstate highway, country roads, and city roads and it has performed quite well.

The fact that the vehicle is easy to find add-on parts for it and also the fact that it doesn't break down very much are a plus.

The standard tires that come on the Explorer could be upgraded to handle wet traction better. I have found many times when it was raining that it tends to hydroplane easily. Also, the fuel economy is not very high, but I understand that it is an SUV and not an economy car.

My Review
By matt96b

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The vehicle has performed quite well. I wish that it got a little better gas mileage, but it is an SUV and I get better gas mileage than I expected.

All in all, I really like my new Ford. Some of the few things that I might change are the tires that come on it do not perform well in the rain at all. Also, on my vehicle before I reached 7900 miles, my transmission was slipping and the engine was running at around 4000 rpms.

Sporty 02 Sport
By NOLIE

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

A step upward from previous (Grand Cherokee).Fun and easy to drive,Park. Must get Limited-slip Diff. Too much Torque for 1 drive wheel. Average 20- MPG mixed driving. 14-16MPG pulling 19`Boat.

Acceleration.Towing capacity