2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
My shopping buddy
By jo on 05/30/08 22:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Explorer, when I first got it the transmission went out, but it was under warranty, no big deal and they gave me a loaner. The car runs very smooth for an SUV, its pretty quiet, seats are comfortable and anyone can fix it.

2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD Good so Far
By rdgalley on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

To date I have put just under 58000 miles on my Explorer. It has been very relieable. The problems I have are fairly minor. The transmission whines a little on the shift from 1st to 2nd. The cam chain tensioner makes a rattling sound under load, and the trim panel around the radio is peeling. Other that those items I am happy with my Explorer and hope to keep it until 150000 miles.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By optimusbjork on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 2002 Exporer Sport after driving a Civic. While at the time, I thought I was upgrading, I soon came to regret my decision. The suspension is my main complaint. The ride is SO bumpy and the back will sway and shift if you hit a pot hole or large bump. Also, you can get blown around on the road if it's windy. Like any SUV, the fuel economy is awful. I do love the factory stereo, though, and the A/C blows very cold. I have not had any performance problems, and it runs excellent. I can't wait to get rid of it, though, and get something safer and more fuel efficient.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By kismet on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I like It
By carpeni on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my exploror for 2 yaers now and like it a lot. Have had only 2 problems with it. A leaking rear shock after a year, which took the dealer 6 months to order and replace. And a transmission leak where the motor and transmission mate. The dealership has yet to return my calls on the transmission leak. (maybee because they saw its still under warrenty). Oh and the milege sucks around town (16mpg) but is awesome on the highway (25mpg).

Fun to Drive
By nerd2z on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Even though it will only hold 2 people in the back seat, there is a ton of room up front and the cargo space is excellent. My dogs have had a blast in the back area! The truck drives very well on the highway and is very comfortable. I wish it got better gas mileage, but it is a truck with a good engine.

Adventure machine
By zealman on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle ROCKS! I've taken it all over Southern California - through the mountains, to the beaches, nice enough for downtown adventures too. the best all-around SUV available, and with plenty of power too. Average 20MPG.

My Review
By Sunwoshiper816 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle can take a beating. I have driven it on off-road, interstate highway, country roads, and city roads and it has performed quite well.

My Review
By matt96b on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The vehicle has performed quite well. I wish that it got a little better gas mileage, but it is an SUV and I get better gas mileage than I expected.

Sporty 02 Sport
By NOLIE on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

A step upward from previous (Grand Cherokee).Fun and easy to drive,Park. Must get Limited-slip Diff. Too much Torque for 1 drive wheel. Average 20- MPG mixed driving. 14-16MPG pulling 19`Boat.