Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

My shopping buddy
By jo

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Explorer, when I first got it the transmission went out, but it was under warranty, no big deal and they gave me a loaner. The car runs very smooth for an SUV, its pretty quiet, seats are comfortable and anyone can fix it.

Well, of course lower gas mileage.

2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD Good so Far
By rdgalley

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

To date I have put just under 58000 miles on my Explorer. It has been very relieable. The problems I have are fairly minor. The transmission whines a little on the shift from 1st to 2nd. The cam chain tensioner makes a rattling sound under load, and the trim panel around the radio is peeling. Other that those items I am happy with my Explorer and hope to keep it until 150000 miles.

It is small with a lot of get up and go.

The interior is a bit plain, but compared to the Blazer the fit and finish is great.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By optimusbjork

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 2002 Exporer Sport after driving a Civic. While at the time, I thought I was upgrading, I soon came to regret my decision. The suspension is my main complaint. The ride is SO bumpy and the back will sway and shift if you hit a pot hole or large bump. Also, you can get blown around on the road if it's windy. Like any SUV, the fuel economy is awful. I do love the factory stereo, though, and the A/C blows very cold. I have not had any performance problems, and it runs excellent. I can't wait to get rid of it, though, and get something safer and more fuel efficient.

Excellent factory stereo and speakers, awesome A/C, keyless entry, excellent braking.

Suspension and fuel efficiency.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By kismet

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Suspension and fuel efficiency.

I like It
By carpeni

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my exploror for 2 yaers now and like it a lot. Have had only 2 problems with it. A leaking rear shock after a year, which took the dealer 6 months to order and replace. And a transmission leak where the motor and transmission mate. The dealership has yet to return my calls on the transmission leak. (maybee because they saw its still under warrenty). Oh and the milege sucks around town (16mpg) but is awesome on the highway (25mpg).

Interior is nice, and the ride is great as long as there's not any pot holes.

Fit and finish of the interior. Have had a few problems with seat parts coming off.