Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer Sport

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Great truck
By Brian

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2002 Explorer Sport in Sept 2001. Had a problem at 12,000 miles. Something in the differential broke. Wasn't fond of the dealership it went to. But since then its been a great truck, Haven't had any problems. It may be 13 years old but has outlasted 99% of my friends/families newer SUV's. People constantly offer to buy it. I wouldn't sell it even if they offered me what I payed when I bought it new, Its low miles and has zero rust and is dependable.

Still going strong
By jake4146

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Choice 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

219k miles and still going strong! Just used it to move a trailer full of Moving stuff across the state.
Couldn't be happier. It's crazy how stuff lasts when taken care of.

Seats broke in fairly quickly, dash lights burn out.

Good little truck
By timo74

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '02 Ford Explorer Sport used with 86K on it. I've had it for two or three years now and I'm very happy with it. It now has 110K on it and has been very reliable so far. Some features have stopped working (CC, outside temp, a couple buttons on the radio, the 4WD Low setting) but it still gets me around just fine. The only parts I've had to replace so far are the wheel bearings and the fan belt. Still, I won't complain. It's a good little truck! I'm thinking my next vehicle will most likely be another Ford Explorer or Escape.

Great in the snow and easy to drive and park.

It tends to bounce around on the road a bit much when going over bumps, probably due to the short wheelbase. If they could have remedied that somehow, that would have been greatly appreciated.

My First Ford
By john

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Choice 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Explorer sways from wind generated by traffic. Roughly every two years "check engine light" comes on. Some of the dash lights went out, had them replaced($250.00)then 8 other dashlights went out. Out of the blue one day, the rear door would'nt open. Different day, I opened rear window and it came off in my hands. No damage has been done to the rear door,or window to give a reason for these problems. Ford recall on cruise control, will catch fire. My previous vehicle was a Toyota Corrola SR5 1600cc 2TC engine I drove for 19 years, God I miss that car.

ABS, every car should have ABS. Elevated view of traffic. Exterior entry buttons on door.

Build it as if it was your mothers car. Reasonable repair and parts prices.

i cant believe I made it over 120,000
By nicoleot

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car brand new in August 2002. Still driving it. Have put a lot of highway miles. Things replaced, at 60K needed a new transmission. 70k needed a new a/c compresser. Changed brakes 2x. 2 fuel filters. The truck is not great on miles, but still runs. Yeah, the ride is bumpy but I plan to ride it to the ground. Hoping to get 150k on it. I did get better tires for it. Michel..LTX and that improved the ride. Very good with snow. If you own this car keep it. If you don't, I wouldn't go buy a new one. After 50K everything falls apart.

Realibility. Good handling when alignment is fixed

Considering it is a 2002 there are no bells and whistles. The front is very roomy. Hard to get spare tire out.