2002 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Still going strong
By jake4146 on 07/28/13 23:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Choice 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

219k miles and still going strong! Just used it to move a trailer full of Moving stuff across the state. Couldn't be happier. It's crazy how stuff lasts when taken care of.

Good little truck
By timo74 on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Premium 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '02 Ford Explorer Sport used with 86K on it. I've had it for two or three years now and I'm very happy with it. It now has 110K on it and has been very reliable so far. Some features have stopped working (CC, outside temp, a couple buttons on the radio, the 4WD Low setting) but it still gets me around just fine. The only parts I've had to replace so far are the wheel bearings and the fan belt. Still, I won't complain. It's a good little truck! I'm thinking my next vehicle will most likely be another Ford Explorer or Escape.

My First Ford
By john on 05/19/10 20:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Choice 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Explorer sways from wind generated by traffic. Roughly every two years "check engine light" comes on. Some of the dash lights went out, had them replaced($250.00)then 8 other dashlights went out. Out of the blue one day, the rear door would'nt open. Different day, I opened rear window and it came off in my hands. No damage has been done to the rear door,or window to give a reason for these problems. Ford recall on cruise control, will catch fire. My previous vehicle was a Toyota Corrola SR5 1600cc 2TC engine I drove for 19 years, God I miss that car.

i cant believe I made it over 120,000
By nicoleot on 01/18/09 07:20 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car brand new in August 2002. Still driving it. Have put a lot of highway miles. Things replaced, at 60K needed a new transmission. 70k needed a new a/c compresser. Changed brakes 2x. 2 fuel filters. The truck is not great on miles, but still runs. Yeah, the ride is bumpy but I plan to ride it to the ground. Hoping to get 150k on it. I did get better tires for it. Michel..LTX and that improved the ride. Very good with snow. If you own this car keep it. If you don't, I wouldn't go buy a new one. After 50K everything falls apart.

Not Happy at all!
By Laurie on 11/24/08 12:14 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my Explorer and ever since I had it I was unhappy with it. I had to replace the front end, brakes, shocks, tires since Ive owned it, most within the first year of purchase. The thing I hate the most is its unstability in snow, The vehicle takes off on its own without warning leaving you in the ditch even in 4wd. I just don't feel safe in this vehicle and I am looking for something better.

Off-road use
By rez driver on 11/11/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for over two years now. About 80% of the time off- road. When I first bought this truck I have been doing a lot of extreme off- roading with the stocked parts. It was OK the first summer the ride was very smooth over washboards then towards the fall season is when the smooth ride went away. Everytime I went over a washboard road the whole truck would shake! I have worn the suspension system to the max and never is it the same again. I have bought countless shocks and leaf springs but the smooth ride has not ever comeback. The truck is ok for the streets but is not very good for long periods of extreme off road use. Overall it is a great truck for highway use but not offroad.

My shopping buddy
By jo on 05/30/08 22:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Explorer, when I first got it the transmission went out, but it was under warranty, no big deal and they gave me a loaner. The car runs very smooth for an SUV, its pretty quiet, seats are comfortable and anyone can fix it.

2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD Good so Far
By rdgalley on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

To date I have put just under 58000 miles on my Explorer. It has been very relieable. The problems I have are fairly minor. The transmission whines a little on the shift from 1st to 2nd. The cam chain tensioner makes a rattling sound under load, and the trim panel around the radio is peeling. Other that those items I am happy with my Explorer and hope to keep it until 150000 miles.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By optimusbjork on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Value 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 2002 Exporer Sport after driving a Civic. While at the time, I thought I was upgrading, I soon came to regret my decision. The suspension is my main complaint. The ride is SO bumpy and the back will sway and shift if you hit a pot hole or large bump. Also, you can get blown around on the road if it's windy. Like any SUV, the fuel economy is awful. I do love the factory stereo, though, and the A/C blows very cold. I have not had any performance problems, and it runs excellent. I can't wait to get rid of it, though, and get something safer and more fuel efficient.

Can't WAIT to trade it in!
By kismet on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)