2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Nice to look at, but

2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Review

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Base 2dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

Nice to look at, but ridden with issues
By Sam on

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my "Certified" used Explorer Sport in 2005 and have had nothing but problems with it. 1 month after I bought it, the ignition lock tumbler locked in place and I couldn't even start the car, and my key was lodged in there. Ford charged $300+ to fix it. Then, the center armrest completely broke off after leaned on it just a little bit to get something out of the back. Third, the 'check engine' light will come on for the smallest reason and stay on. Then, my drivers side door will not unlock from the outside, it will only unlock from the inside. So getting into the car requires using the passenger side door to open the drivers side. I've only had it for 1.5 years!

Favorite Features

The exterior is very nice with the new front style headlights. Good torque, decent gas mileage, and plenty of room for musicians, i.e.: drumsets & speakers.

Suggested Improvements

To Ford Motor Co.: Spend a decent dollar to improve your interior and mechanical quality of your vehicles, and don't make the replacement parts so expensive! This is absolutely the LAST Ford I will ever buy.