2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great SUV with easy modifications

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Review

Great SUV with easy modifications
By mustang133 on

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 3rd Explorer Sport. Lowered by 1.5" - front adjustable, rear blocks, Bilstein shocks and 275/60-17 tires improve handling 100%. 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter and cool air intake and performance chip (ECU) increases HP to 250+ with 21-22 miles per gallon highway. These changes made the Explorer Sport an exceptional truck in handling and driveability, ride comfort and performance (faster than the V-8 Explorer). I've driven it to Florida and back to New York with 3 passengers and loaded, including a roof carrier. I'd much rather drive the Sport than my V-8 Crown Victoria on long trips now. Too bad, they stopped making it. Great truck.

Favorite Features

Engine is outstanding, Pioneer CD stereo system with sub-woofer, interior room and comfort as compared to other same sized SUVs, good looking exterior

Suggested Improvements

Lowered by 1-2 inches, better shocks, less restrictive exhaust, shifter located in center console and dress up the interior dash ect.