Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Again? No, thanks.
By jehlers

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was cruising through one on the weekend, and the Explorer Sport caught my eye. Not to mention, I loved the two door look and it was black! I've always wanted a black vehicle. Another bonus, it had a sunroof, luggage rack and running boards. I don't think I could've asked for anything else. It had $10,900 on the windshield and I got it for $9,400 with only 56K on it. I got a pretty good deal. Anyway, its not mid-July and I hate the gas mileage. I've already replaced the air intake control valve ($225 w/ labor) and now it clicks loudly when I turn my wheels. Someone mentioned the hub bearings. I think my next car will be a Honda, Nissan or Toyota. Thats what I wanted originally.

Favorite Features

I love the mean, aggressive look. The front bumper just looks tough. The sunroof is a huge bonus. The fog lights give it a nice look, too.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the fact that if you keep your ashtray where it was originally made to go, you only have one available cup holder and someone has to hold their drink. Also, the display on my factory stereo was out when I bought the car, so I had to replace it. The interior has room for improvement.

Love it!
By Gt Razns

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer Sport in April 2003. It was a dealer-used vehicle with 24,000 miles on it . It has all the bells and whistles on it since it was ordered for a Ford Co. employee to drive. I love it! I haul everything in it. Girl Scouts, small furniture, you name it. I have taken several long trips with it and never had a problem. I would buy another if they hadn't quit making them. I have kids and it is not a problem. Maybe if they were in car-seats it would be a problem but they are between 11 and 16 so it is not a problem. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I love my Explorer Sport!

Favorite Features

The super exterior look, performance, very fun to drive and is just the right size. Not too big , not too small.

Suggested Improvements

Wing windows should have been electric.

It's A Truck
By VoiceOfReason

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was bored here at work, so I read through the last 7 pages of reviews. While most people were positive, I had problems with several of the reviews. It seems like some people forget that this is a TRUCK. It's not supposed to ride like a car. It has enough power to plow through the snow here in Jersey, and is comfortable enough for me to drive the 300 miles it takes to get me to my parent's house. Although the gas mileage is horrendous, what do you expect, it's a TRUCK. I had a 1000 watt power inverter installed to make it the perfect tailgating accessory for Eagles games. Overall, I love this TRUCK.

Favorite Features

Tight suspension, powerful engine, nice factory sound system. I love the looks of the exterior and the clearance is great for offroad drives.

Suggested Improvements

Cold fusion engine to solve the gas mileage problem

Have You Driven A Ford Sport lately
By Sooners

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I factory ordered my Explorer Sport in 2000. Just love the look of the new model. My Explorer Sport is a 4X4 with skid plates, which was perfect for the Rocky Mountains jeep trails of Colorado and carry my ski gears. Now, I live in Florida and my Explorer is towing my 19' boat. My Explorer has been as high as 14,000 feet to sea level with no problems whatsoever. I do my routine maintenance and the biggest repair is getting new brake pads and rotors. Not bad at all IMHO. It's fun to go on the beach and switch to 4X4 and go on the path less traveled. Others SUVs without 4X4 just get stuck in the sand! I am still surprised that I get 20 mpg on the highways going to work.

Favorite Features

Easily switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. Able to carry all of my stuff from snow skis to a 19' boat. The lock/unlock button in the cargo area. Did not notice it until last year (LOL). It has not broken down at all (knock on wood).

Suggested Improvements

Have a class II hitch like the Explorer four door models.

Great Truck
By 2k1exsport

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Traded a '97 F150 2WD Reg Cab, since I needed the back seat (for a 3 year old). Short wheel base makes for stiff/bumpy ride, but as long as you don't drive too fast, it's not a problem. Engine is very nice, and has plenty of power. 4WD works great, and the short wheel base helps in off road situations. MPG could be better, but it is a truck! Cargo room is great, plenty of room for a sub woofer, and a few days worth of clothes, and paint supplies. I upgraded the stereo the day I bought it, so not sure how the stock stereo is. Tires are larger than expected, and treat/pattern is great for around town and the occasional light off roading. GREAT TRUCK for mid 20s people with 1 child.

Favorite Features

V6 engine, short wheel base, seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

BRING BACK the SPORT 2dr model!