2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
RIDES LIKE A BAD HORSE
By JB007 on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

SOON AFTER I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK IN OCT 2000 I SUSPECTED I HAD MADE A BAD PURCHASE. AFTER ALMOST THREE YEARS OWNING IT I HAVE CONFIRMED WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE I MADE. FOR STARTERS THIS TRUCK LOSES IT WHEN IT HITS A POTHOLE OR A SPEED BUMP. THE TAIL SWAGS TO THE SIDE. IT OFFERS A VERY UNCOMFORTABLE AND BUMPY RIDE OVER ANYTHING THAT ISN'T PERFECT ASPHALT. THE TITANIUM FINISH ON THE DOOR HANDLES HAVE COME OFF AND NOW LOOK AN UGLY DISCOLORED GRAY. THE INSTRUMENT PANEL AND DASHBOARD ARE SO BADLY ASSEMBLED THAT IT SQUEAKS AND RATTLES. I HAVE HAD TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP SEVERAL TIMES.

MyOpinion
By Corrine Corey on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've enjoyedmy vehicle after a bumpy start with the idler.

Explorer sport
By bmtaurus on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I liked my explorer a lot when I first bought it. However, that began to change over time. The truck inside and outside is great. It looks nice and feels even better when you're sitting inside. The problem comes when you actually have to drive it. Hold on because it is a very bumpy ride. You feel every little obstruction in the road and it gets magnified so a little bump feels like you're driving off a cliff. I still like my explorer now but just not as much as I used to.

excelent choice
By barbara004 on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

great truck fun to own kids love it.

Rides Like an SUV
By MattP on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had read some previous reviews on the site, and I feel they are somewhat inacurate. This car is not a Grand Cherokee or an Expedition, as reflected by it's selling price. This is a 2 door SUV with a strong engine, extremely capable transmission, and the ride of a SUV. I don't think Ford ever designed this car to ride like a sedan. Having had mine for seven months now, I am very pleased with it's performance.

Scrambled Eggs
By James in FL on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the roughest riding vehicle I have ever owned. Even minor road irregularities feel like major speed bumps which causes major sqweaks and rattles. If you are looking for a smooth quite ride, I would advise you to look else where. If you want a good looking truck and do not mind the harsh ride, this is could be your truck.

Hard Ride
By Calvin S on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

While I liked the overall appearance (interior and exterior) and didn't mind the gas mileage (21 on the highway), this is the roughest riding vehicle I've ever owned. For that reason I am trading it in and buying something smoother on the roads. Any bump with the Explorer Sport and you get jolted pretty good.

good car for me
By jefe on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ever since i got my 2001 ford explorer sport, ive been happy. I just bought it a couple days ago and its been fun to drive ever since. Insurance wasnt bad and 20 bucks nearly got me a 3/4 a tank worth of gas, not bad for an suv. I got it at a really good price, fully loaded XLS. I wish i found a 4x4 but im happy with my two wheel drive. really fun to drive and the engine sounds good. seats are super comfy and stereo is better than average definitely. im really happy with my car!

Damn Ball Joints
By big c on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall it's been good, Only issues are squeaky brakes whenever I brake between the speeds of 35mph to 50mph since day one Took the truck in 3 times regarding this...never could find anything they replaced the brake pads only once. EGR sensor failed. And 2 replaced ball joints in 2 years. I don't off-road either. But it's been dependable.

I think I made a HUGE mistake!
By togobackintime on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was, unfortunately an Impulse buy. I'll NEVER do that again! Rides as if you are riding on solid rubber tires. The rattles are unbelievable! If you test drive one of these, take it over just the littliest bit of road imperfections, ouch! Gas mileage is shameful! Got a Big Wallet?..you'll need it! 5 Years to go & dreading it!