2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Love it!
By Shinynickel on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the Explorer Sport in September due to the need (ha!) for a 4WD vehicle. We have had Explorers in the past and have been very happy. I love this thing! The ride is not as smooth as it could be, but its a truck for cryin' out loud! It's powerful, maneuverable, fun to drive. I have no complaints so far.

Look Elsewhere for your midsize SUV
By ewb on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned it for 10 months, and it has only 35K miles and already is is the shop getting the transmission replaced. Warranty is only 3yr/36K, even on drivetrain. The ride is very rough, but what you would expect from a short wheel based truck. Must wear seat belt or the car beeps at you every couple of minuts, very annoying.

I love this SUV!
By Lynsi G on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am SO disappointed that Ford has discontinued the 2 door Ford Explorer Sport! I live in NH where 4WD is an absolute must just to get up my driveway in the winter. I do not need or want a four-door vehicle and find the full-size Explorer to be "family" looking since I have neither kids or a dog. The Ford Escape just looks too chintzy to be an option. I wish car makers would realize that there are thirty-something consumers who want a sporty SUV that is not the size of a Matchbox or the size of a house...

Love it!
By pickens on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a wonderful SUV. I just had a wreck in it where I hydroplaned on the Interstate and hit the concrete wall divider. My wife and I were unharmed and the car held up great!

2001 Ford Explorer /Black
By slimdashady1 on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I bought it it seemed pretty good,but then I started to have some problems with it.First there is some kind of vibration that comes from the trans when I am at a stop.This does'nt always happen but it is very annoying when it does.Then twice when I had to come to a sudden stop the passenger seat came flying forward.It was in a locked position both times.Then the paint started to fade all over the truck.Last thing is now the brakes squeek when I brake at 45mph or more.The dealer could "not find anything wrong with my complaints".Besides the really nice looks of this truck,and the roomy interior I am not happy.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport
By gorgborg on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, find myself filling the gas tank much more often than my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

fun truck
By rayaccord on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

great sport and fun drve, only complait is that the interior looks the same every year, they need to upgraded to compete with the hondas and the toyotas. The suspension could be little tighter. overall its a good truck

Awsome Car
By johna on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Honestly, I am a pretty crazy driver. Being a crazy driver, I would need a reliable vehicle that can handle hard turns, speed, fast breaking, and things like that. My 2001 Ford Explorer Sport has done these things and a whole lot more. That's why I would strongly recomend this vehicle to anyone.

Sport
By BigBadLou on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i love the way this truck drives. a/c is super cold. runs smooth. i would love to buy another explorer

Very happy!
By Jake Kirk on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This Explorer Sport is perfect. I drove a Geo Metro for 6 1/2 years before upgrading to a SUV. The price was right and fits my lifestyle to a tee. It has enough space for moving anything. It's just me and my wife, so the back seat isn't a concern. Our friends tell us its comfortable back there. The dealership had exactly what my wife and I wanted, including a bush guard already installed. Whomever leased this truck before us, a big thank you to you for keeping it is such great shape.