Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Beginner SUV
By Ese Mang

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have driven the 2001 Ford Exploer Sport for 5 years during my college days. Just to give you insight as to who I am, I am a 23 year old engineering student studing mechanical engineering I am looking to buy a bmw 330i, 2006 now. Speaking for SUV's I want to say that Ford has built a great truck in the Explorer Sport. This is because first,the reliablility is exceptional. If you maintaine regular fluid changes, the sport will run like the first day you owned it. Second, if you do have to maintain something large, the repairs are relatively inexpensive compared to European counterparts, (Japanese SUV's may be more expensive to repair too). Thirdly, The torgue that the sport has is plenty fun

Torque is exhillerating. Makes it feel like a much faster vehicle.

The seats could have been much better thought out. Somewhat uncomfortable.

Love this truck
By Sues98

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Sport in 2002 as a Oval Certified and have absolutely no complaints. I love this truck. Its nice and compact but still has all the perks of a full size. It has an amazing turning radius and I have absolutely no problems parking it- ever! It's sporty and functional. I've read a lot of complaints about it being a bit of a rough ride, but it is built on a truck base, so you will have that. If you want a softer ride get a car. I can't complain about the ride and that is even with all of the potholes Pittsburgh has The gas mileage is great for a truck. I usually get about 15-17 mpg in the city. I wish they still made it- I'd buy another even with the price of gas.

Comfy seats (for a truck- especially on long rides), 6 cd player, moonroof that goes into the truck- not on top, the layout and everything

Bring it back

Truly Ford Tough
By Spymagician

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My second new Ford. Bought it in June of 2000, and still drive it every day. Needs only routine maintenance, and has been absolutely wonderful. The little annoying things scarcely ruin my overall satisfaction in ownership. (e.g.: The center console vinyl fell apart after about a year.) Lots of room inside. (Fit 6 bicycles and 4 people) 4-wheel-drive is powerful, if a little clunky at lower speeds when using 4-Hi, but hardly an issue as it's rarely required as such. I'm very happy with my truck.

4-wheel-drive, moonroof, power/torque, interior and exterior style, 6-disc hi-end stereo, roominess, handling, ride/suspension.

Fuel efficiency needs to be improved drastically, but this is the case for all large vehicles. Ford has always performed on the lower end when it comes to braking. It's absolutely safe as is, but it could be much better with a little effort. Use higher quality materials for the interior!

Been a good one so far
By edeverhart

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently bought my Explorer and so far it has been a very enjoyable experience. The vehicle is very dependable and fun to drive. I like the look of the vehicle and the interior design. My only complaint is the fuel economy. I average around 18.5 to 19 mpg. I would have liked to seen a little better gas mileage. Overall I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Interior design

Better gas mileage and easy access to the rear seat.

Nice SUV
By Greg

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my EXP sport used and I have really enjoyed the ride. I found the vehicle to be just the right size for me, as I am generally the only one in the vehicle.

Handling, easy to drive

The only thing I wished Ford would have done is use a little be better quaility center console material.