2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Again? No, thanks.
By jehlers on 07/17/05 18:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was cruising through one on the weekend, and the Explorer Sport caught my eye. Not to mention, I loved the two door look and it was black! I've always wanted a black vehicle. Another bonus, it had a sunroof, luggage rack and running boards. I don't think I could've asked for anything else. It had $10,900 on the windshield and I got it for $9,400 with only 56K on it. I got a pretty good deal. Anyway, its not mid-July and I hate the gas mileage. I've already replaced the air intake control valve ($225 w/ labor) and now it clicks loudly when I turn my wheels. Someone mentioned the hub bearings. I think my next car will be a Honda, Nissan or Toyota. Thats what I wanted originally.

Love it!
By Gt Razns on 07/04/05 13:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer Sport in April 2003. It was a dealer-used vehicle with 24,000 miles on it . It has all the bells and whistles on it since it was ordered for a Ford Co. employee to drive. I love it! I haul everything in it. Girl Scouts, small furniture, you name it. I have taken several long trips with it and never had a problem. I would buy another if they hadn't quit making them. I have kids and it is not a problem. Maybe if they were in car-seats it would be a problem but they are between 11 and 16 so it is not a problem. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I love my Explorer Sport!

It's A Truck
By VoiceOfReason on 07/01/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was bored here at work, so I read through the last 7 pages of reviews. While most people were positive, I had problems with several of the reviews. It seems like some people forget that this is a TRUCK. It's not supposed to ride like a car. It has enough power to plow through the snow here in Jersey, and is comfortable enough for me to drive the 300 miles it takes to get me to my parent's house. Although the gas mileage is horrendous, what do you expect, it's a TRUCK. I had a 1000 watt power inverter installed to make it the perfect tailgating accessory for Eagles games. Overall, I love this TRUCK.

Have You Driven A Ford Sport lately
By Sooners on 06/12/05 22:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I factory ordered my Explorer Sport in 2000. Just love the look of the new model. My Explorer Sport is a 4X4 with skid plates, which was perfect for the Rocky Mountains jeep trails of Colorado and carry my ski gears. Now, I live in Florida and my Explorer is towing my 19' boat. My Explorer has been as high as 14,000 feet to sea level with no problems whatsoever. I do my routine maintenance and the biggest repair is getting new brake pads and rotors. Not bad at all IMHO. It's fun to go on the beach and switch to 4X4 and go on the path less traveled. Others SUVs without 4X4 just get stuck in the sand! I am still surprised that I get 20 mpg on the highways going to work.

Great Truck
By 2k1exsport on 05/30/05 09:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Traded a '97 F150 2WD Reg Cab, since I needed the back seat (for a 3 year old). Short wheel base makes for stiff/bumpy ride, but as long as you don't drive too fast, it's not a problem. Engine is very nice, and has plenty of power. 4WD works great, and the short wheel base helps in off road situations. MPG could be better, but it is a truck! Cargo room is great, plenty of room for a sub woofer, and a few days worth of clothes, and paint supplies. I upgraded the stereo the day I bought it, so not sure how the stock stereo is. Tires are larger than expected, and treat/pattern is great for around town and the occasional light off roading. GREAT TRUCK for mid 20s people with 1 child.

Awesome SUV
By Brando on 04/23/05 08:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for 4 1/2 years and it's been flawless. I used to be a diehard GM customer but my last 2 vehicles have been Fords and I have been very happy with them. It's unfortunate that Ford discontinued the Sport since it was the perfect size for someone without kids. The reliability has been excellent and I still love the looks of it as much as when I bought it.

Had NO Problems
By Offroader on 03/26/05 16:49 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've only owned a handfull of American cars in my 58 years -- and never expected to purchase a "FORD". I wanted an SUV, liked the styling and price of the Explorer Sport, and from the 30K miles when I purchased it, to the 64K miles I now have on it, its reliability has been exceptional. Living in NJ where the climate can be brutal in the winter, this vehicle has started without exception and run flawlessly. The 4WD is of course absolutely essential for this environment and has performed well.

So far so good.
By MandaLou on 03/02/05 13:35 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer about a year and half ago. I am pleased with it. It's a fun little gadget to drive, but not too roomy if you want to haul around friends. Body style is great and the handling is good as well. The fuel economy could improve, but that is with all SUVs. Good car if you are young and on the go!

Decent little ride
By Bigg E on 02/24/05 00:30 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my truck for about a year and so far so good. My only complaints are the harsh ride over anything but smooth highway. It definately rides like a truck. The short wheelbase makes it bounce all over the lane when you hit a bump. Overall, I like my truck. It was a great deal. 4x4 works good. I would recommend it to anyone that is single or does not plan to carry a lot of passengers. Good cargo room for its size. Has not given me any problems either.

2001 Explorer Sport
By KFrost on 11/14/04 10:49 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive but too many problems. Timing chain rattle at 43K, steering wheel vibration in parking maneuvers, faulty rear window wiper, and premature rust of rear bumper and side bars. Mechanical problems are covered under certified vehicle and another extended warranty, but I'm on my own with exterior surface rusting on a 3 year old vehicle.