Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Love it!
By Gt Razns

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer Sport in April 2003. It was a dealer-used vehicle with 24,000 miles on it . It has all the bells and whistles on it since it was ordered for a Ford Co. employee to drive. I love it! I haul everything in it. Girl Scouts, small furniture, you name it. I have taken several long trips with it and never had a problem. I would buy another if they hadn't quit making them. I have kids and it is not a problem. Maybe if they were in car-seats it would be a problem but they are between 11 and 16 so it is not a problem. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I love my Explorer Sport!

Favorite Features

The super exterior look, performance, very fun to drive and is just the right size. Not too big , not too small.

Suggested Improvements

Wing windows should have been electric.

Awesome SUV
By Brando

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for 4 1/2 years and it's been flawless. I used to be a diehard GM customer but my last 2 vehicles have been Fords and I have been very happy with them. It's unfortunate that Ford discontinued the Sport since it was the perfect size for someone without kids. The reliability has been excellent and I still love the looks of it as much as when I bought it.

Favorite Features

The exterior styling, performance, dash layout, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I like a stiff ride but I know some would find it too harsh.

So far so good.
By MandaLou

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer about a year and half ago. I am pleased with it. It's a fun little gadget to drive, but not too roomy if you want to haul around friends. Body style is great and the handling is good as well. The fuel economy could improve, but that is with all SUVs. Good car if you are young and on the go!

Favorite Features

The fog lights and keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, make ride more smoother.

Owned used for 1 & 1/2 years - fun
By NITH

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned for 18 months. It's been great to drive. Great for short camping trips. I've also driven it long distances with easy. It is a solid vehicle I don't ever have to worry about. Perfect vehicle for single or married w/o kids. CD Player is awesome. Backseat is hard for people to get into. DO NOT TOW WITH THIS VEHICLE! I towed a Mini Cooper on a full size trailer and burnt my brakes out. Quick and a great daily driver.

Favorite Features

Power Seats, 6 disc CD Changer, Moonroof, Fold down back seats, power windows, cruise. My previous vehicle was a 1966 F-100. Enough said.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is quite roomy, but hard to access. The rear bumper needs the upgrade of the hide-a-hitch bumper.

GOOD LOOKING TRUCK
By WELDON SIMMONS

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have not had the truck but a month, but like the looks of it. At times I wish I had of brought the 4 door due to the inconvenance of the back seat passanger. Additionally I hate the gas milage with a passion. All in all not a bad truck, and I say truck because thats what it rides like, a truck.

Favorite Features

The way the front and the back is made, and the sound system

Suggested Improvements

Make it a smoother ride and do something about the gas milage without taking away from the performance