2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
01 Ford Explorer Sport
By JEvans on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great Vehicle!! Fun to drive!! Great Insurance Rates!!

Disappointed.
By JackAM on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm very disappointed with my Explorer. It handles terribly, even dangerously, and wants to veer off to the right and left when it hits potholes that for other cars that would be inconsequential. The interior also has a very cheap feel.

Love My Explorer
By Maxamillion51 on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I went from a fll size 4x4 GMC Truck to the Explorer Sport. I thought that I would not be happy with a smaller truck but I love my Explorer. The only thing that I wish is that ford would give it a bit more ground clearance and Traction control on the 4x2 model.

Lemon or new model year glitches?
By TVSP on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

In the first six months of owning my Explorer Sport the following has been replaced for defects: the electronic control module (the brain), the fuel pump, the back window shield wiper, the outer door molding, the oxygen sensor for emissions, the interior "cruise control lights". This is my second Explorer Sport. My first one (a 1998 model) was the polar oppposite of this one...never a problem and it saved my life in a rollover crash at 70mph. While the reliability on my existing Explorer is questionable, the safety systems are impeccable. At least I have the peace of mind in knowing that this vehicle can and will save my life. And let's face it, that is worth a lot!

A few problems, overall satisfied
By Hound on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Like the cool looking 2001 body (hate the 2002) Fun to drive, but seat back is uncomfortable on long rides, needs to be more ergonomic (SP?). One year into ownership, it overheated on very short trips. Mechanic said he is seeing a lot of bad thermostats on the v6's. At 32,000 miles now, noticed a very slight delay in upshifting and a small loss of power. Dealer said everything OK. (Will be, I'm sure until warrenty runs out). Large cargo area ideal to have have a lunchtime quickie with girlfriend at work. Hey, you have to think of these things.

Good Vehicle
By James H on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car a year ago and have almost 30,000 miles on it. It has been a very good car and I take it everywhere. Will definitely drive it until it cant be driven anymore.

2001 explorer sport Z2
By Frisco on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great vehicle for a teenager. Not a great vehicle for a young couple.

Happy
By Marc Arch on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoy driving the Explorer Sport. To me the Explorer Sport is a comfortable, quick, and agile truck. After 10 years of driving various trucks, and after renting numerous mini-utes, I purchased the right vehicle. Trucklike yes, but solid feeling with a quick smooth engine/tranny combo. Yes, maybe a little harsh through the front end on bumps, and gas mileage could be better. I find the steering accurate, body lean is far less than most other trucks and utes. (Less jiggly than the V6 Escape I had for 5 Days)

Great truck
By Red on 03/13/02 09:42 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned a Tahoe, a Durango and this Explorer Sport. If you take away the size difference in each, this is the best one I have owned. I drove it cross-country and it was a great ride. I have taken it in the mountains, on bad streets with lots of pot holes and nice urban neighborhoods and it has been perfect in all places. This is a great SUV! I am very happy!