Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Base Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

nice suv
By bassraider

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when my 97 S-10 was t-boned in an accident. It has been nothing but reliable and cheap to own. I have taken it on many long distance trips and it has been reasonably comfortable. The only gripes I have are the combo purse/cheap plastic center console arm rest that broke in the first month of owning it, and the rear wiper which never worked reliably (but who needs one anyways). As for the complaints about the rough ride, it is a truck and it has a VERY short wheelbase which combined together make for a very bumpy ride, needless to say if you don't want a bumpy ride get the four door version and say hi to the rest of the soccer moms for me.

Wonderful styling which looks as good as when I bought it, reliable, cheap to run, good gas mileage. All I've put into it since I bought it at 23k miles is nothing but gas and oil and it has over 90+ now!

Well they don't make 'em anymore so I guess it doesn't matter what I suggest. But I hate the cheap center console with a purse built into it. I mean come on Ford WHAT were you thinking?

Nice to look at, but ridden with issues
By Sam

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my "Certified" used Explorer Sport in 2005 and have had nothing but problems with it. 1 month after I bought it, the ignition lock tumbler locked in place and I couldn't even start the car, and my key was lodged in there. Ford charged $300+ to fix it. Then, the center armrest completely broke off after leaned on it just a little bit to get something out of the back. Third, the 'check engine' light will come on for the smallest reason and stay on. Then, my drivers side door will not unlock from the outside, it will only unlock from the inside. So getting into the car requires using the passenger side door to open the drivers side. I've only had it for 1.5 years!

The exterior is very nice with the new front style headlights. Good torque, decent gas mileage, and plenty of room for musicians, i.e.: drumsets & speakers.

To Ford Motor Co.: Spend a decent dollar to improve your interior and mechanical quality of your vehicles, and don't make the replacement parts so expensive! This is absolutely the LAST Ford I will ever buy.

2 DR SUV
By crdallas

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Rocking horse ride and uncomfortable mouse fur seats, but it's a 2 DR SUV w/ good exterior styling, very good fuel economy for a full size vehicle, and great reliability, plus it fills an important niche (for me) in the SUV market. After driving it around the USA for 110,000 miles it still looks and performs very well. Just wish it were smoother riding and/or had better seats.

Exterior styling and size.

Noise, seats, comfort of ride.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport
By ben mcdonald

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very reliable and fun to drive. I have only had to add new brakes and emissions valve. I have owned it for 4 1/2 years. However it is a bumpy ride.

Puddle lamps let you see when approaching vehicle in the dark.

Tighter suspension would be nice.

Great First Car
By Mere

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car! It's my first car and I love the size of it. It's small enough to maneuver easily, but big enough to make me feel safe and stable.

It's fun to drive! I love the exterior appearance and the 6 CD changer in dash.

It drives like a truck, not a problem for me, but I can understand how it may bother some. I wish they still made Explorer Sports.