2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Love it!
By Gt Razns on 07/04/05 13:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer Sport in April 2003. It was a dealer-used vehicle with 24,000 miles on it . It has all the bells and whistles on it since it was ordered for a Ford Co. employee to drive. I love it! I haul everything in it. Girl Scouts, small furniture, you name it. I have taken several long trips with it and never had a problem. I would buy another if they hadn't quit making them. I have kids and it is not a problem. Maybe if they were in car-seats it would be a problem but they are between 11 and 16 so it is not a problem. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I love my Explorer Sport!

Awesome SUV
By Brando on 04/23/05 08:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for 4 1/2 years and it's been flawless. I used to be a diehard GM customer but my last 2 vehicles have been Fords and I have been very happy with them. It's unfortunate that Ford discontinued the Sport since it was the perfect size for someone without kids. The reliability has been excellent and I still love the looks of it as much as when I bought it.

So far so good.
By MandaLou on 03/02/05 13:35 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer about a year and half ago. I am pleased with it. It's a fun little gadget to drive, but not too roomy if you want to haul around friends. Body style is great and the handling is good as well. The fuel economy could improve, but that is with all SUVs. Good car if you are young and on the go!

Owned used for 1 & 1/2 years - fun
By NITH on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned for 18 months. It's been great to drive. Great for short camping trips. I've also driven it long distances with easy. It is a solid vehicle I don't ever have to worry about. Perfect vehicle for single or married w/o kids. CD Player is awesome. Backseat is hard for people to get into. DO NOT TOW WITH THIS VEHICLE! I towed a Mini Cooper on a full size trailer and burnt my brakes out. Quick and a great daily driver.

GOOD LOOKING TRUCK
By WELDON SIMMONS on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have not had the truck but a month, but like the looks of it. At times I wish I had of brought the 4 door due to the inconvenance of the back seat passanger. Additionally I hate the gas milage with a passion. All in all not a bad truck, and I say truck because thats what it rides like, a truck.

Creating a convert
By alkimther on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always been a Ford fan, but my husband was a Chevy fan. After my 93 Mustang finally started dying after 120,000 miles and through no fault of it's own he was changing his mind. After we got the Explorer Sport he has totally changed his mind and now loves Fords. It's my truck and I hardly even get to drive it. Being chauffered isn't so bad after all. We live in the country so we put ALOT of miles on our vehicles and we have had no major problems yet. Kim

Not exactly what I thought
By natumbu on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Ford Explorer sport is a beauty to look at, fun to drive and I love my moonroof the most. But, with this being my first SUV purchase, I expected a more comfortable suspension. The only issue I have with my Explorer is the suspension on bumpy roads or expecially potholes. I think I would have research the other models more, to see if they provided a more comforatable suspension, but I just didn't want that big four-door version.

Bad Ball Joints
By Kathy Hoppes on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Ford in 6.5 years. I have spent several thousands of dollars for repairs that are a direct result of poor engineering on the part of Ford the first was a 95 mustang convertable v-6. I had to replace the head gaskets 3 times before I bought this explorer now I have had tons of recalls,bad ball joints and the transmission is slipping.All together I have spent 50000.00$ plus all the repairs and the 89 nissan I traded for the first Ford is still on the road. I guess everyone knows what my next car will be. Not a ford.

Look Elsewhere for your midsize SUV
By ewb on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned it for 10 months, and it has only 35K miles and already is is the shop getting the transmission replaced. Warranty is only 3yr/36K, even on drivetrain. The ride is very rough, but what you would expect from a short wheel based truck. Must wear seat belt or the car beeps at you every couple of minuts, very annoying.

I love this SUV!
By Lynsi G on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am SO disappointed that Ford has discontinued the 2 door Ford Explorer Sport! I live in NH where 4WD is an absolute must just to get up my driveway in the winter. I do not need or want a four-door vehicle and find the full-size Explorer to be "family" looking since I have neither kids or a dog. The Ford Escape just looks too chintzy to be an option. I wish car makers would realize that there are thirty-something consumers who want a sporty SUV that is not the size of a Matchbox or the size of a house...