Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

What a change
By Luis Pinzon

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My daugther calls our best friend in Fl. Oscar my father lost his mind..- Oscar : What happened. Where is he. Tell me what is wrong... M. D. :He just purchased a Ford!! My surprise !! Exelent electronics.. I drive on and off road, tow a small trailer for an ATV.. Handles VG. I definitly try a newer model !! At the beginig gas was not so great... Rear bumper should be stronger.... More space to enter back seat...

Favorite Features

Drives very smoth and is high. 17 inch wheels Sufficient power for a small suv.

Suggested Improvements

Additional space to access rear seats Stronger towing bumper

Owned used for 1 & 1/2 years - fun
By NITH

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned for 18 months. It's been great to drive. Great for short camping trips. I've also driven it long distances with easy. It is a solid vehicle I don't ever have to worry about. Perfect vehicle for single or married w/o kids. CD Player is awesome. Backseat is hard for people to get into. DO NOT TOW WITH THIS VEHICLE! I towed a Mini Cooper on a full size trailer and burnt my brakes out. Quick and a great daily driver.

Favorite Features

Power Seats, 6 disc CD Changer, Moonroof, Fold down back seats, power windows, cruise. My previous vehicle was a 1966 F-100. Enough said.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is quite roomy, but hard to access. The rear bumper needs the upgrade of the hide-a-hitch bumper.

GOOD LOOKING TRUCK
By WELDON SIMMONS

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have not had the truck but a month, but like the looks of it. At times I wish I had of brought the 4 door due to the inconvenance of the back seat passanger. Additionally I hate the gas milage with a passion. All in all not a bad truck, and I say truck because thats what it rides like, a truck.

Favorite Features

The way the front and the back is made, and the sound system

Suggested Improvements

Make it a smoother ride and do something about the gas milage without taking away from the performance

Creating a convert
By alkimther

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always been a Ford fan, but my husband was a Chevy fan. After my 93 Mustang finally started dying after 120,000 miles and through no fault of it's own he was changing his mind. After we got the Explorer Sport he has totally changed his mind and now loves Fords. It's my truck and I hardly even get to drive it. Being chauffered isn't so bad after all. We live in the country so we put ALOT of miles on our vehicles and we have had no major problems yet. Kim

Favorite Features

leg and head room, nice factory stereo system, comfortable for long trips, smooth ride, handles nicely,

Suggested Improvements

easier access to the back seat from driver's side, side covers at bottom of seats need to hug the seat more closely or stop before front edge of seat, too easy to catch corner of it with a shoe or foot, especially if the seat is close to dash

Good and Bad
By meridian

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After 46000 miles and 3 years I have had to have over $1200 in repairs not to mention dumping a $1000 a year into it every year since I've had it. It just hasn't held up. While the exterior looks great, the engine is lacking, a lot of misfires and sluggish performance, and suspension problems now. It's a nice vehicle, the ride is fine, interior quality is ok, the build quality just hasn't held up well.

Favorite Features

Tight turning radius (watch out for bumps though, you'll fishtail like mad), powerful engine (it was anyways).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the build quality, I just don't have the feeling my vehicle will last beyond a 100K since I've had so many problems under 50K.