2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Happy
By Marc Arch on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoy driving the Explorer Sport. To me the Explorer Sport is a comfortable, quick, and agile truck. After 10 years of driving various trucks, and after renting numerous mini-utes, I purchased the right vehicle. Trucklike yes, but solid feeling with a quick smooth engine/tranny combo. Yes, maybe a little harsh through the front end on bumps, and gas mileage could be better. I find the steering accurate, body lean is far less than most other trucks and utes. (Less jiggly than the V6 Escape I had for 5 Days)

Think Twice
By RMCass on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased the SUV in March 2001. We previously owned a Chevrolet Tahoe and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We decided to opt for a smaller SUV. Now, one year later, it has approximately 12000 miles on it and, basically, the truck is falling apart. The rear wiper works when it decides it wants to work, the interior control buttons for the windows, etc. are falling off, falling through the holes amd the car is already starting to stall at only a year old. The handling on it is horrible - when you hit a bump or pothole, the whole tale end "skips". Basically, the truck fish-tails when you hit a bump or pothole doing more than 20 MPH.

Great truck
By Red on 03/13/02 09:42 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned a Tahoe, a Durango and this Explorer Sport. If you take away the size difference in each, this is the best one I have owned. I drove it cross-country and it was a great ride. I have taken it in the mountains, on bad streets with lots of pot holes and nice urban neighborhoods and it has been perfect in all places. This is a great SUV! I am very happy!

New Ford purchase
By PFP on 02/27/02 15:06 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is this first US auto purchase in over several years. Tranisisition from a Japanese SUV , has been an extremly pleasant experience to date (approx 8K mileage)on the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. The ride quality and reliability has been most favorable and would only improve the current MPS, which aligns with other SUV's in it's class (avr. 16 MPG)

Kickin
By Don Durfey on 02/04/02 14:31 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my new SUV. I purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport used with 20,000 miles on it off of a lease. It is a major improvement from my Jetta. Its got tons of power, plenty of room, and still small enough I can park it anywhere I could park my Jetta. Its got plenty of cargo space, very easy to work on, and excellent new body lines. I've had it offroad a few times and never had a problem. I never thought I'd own a FORD, but now I realized that I've been missing out.