Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

2001 Explorer Sport
By KFrost

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive but too many problems. Timing chain rattle at 43K, steering wheel vibration in parking maneuvers, faulty rear window wiper, and premature rust of rear bumper and side bars. Mechanical problems are covered under certified vehicle and another extended warranty, but I'm on my own with exterior surface rusting on a 3 year old vehicle.

Performance and driver visibility.

Paint, and better quality control at time of manufacturing.

What a change
By Luis Pinzon

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My daugther calls our best friend in Fl. Oscar my father lost his mind..- Oscar : What happened. Where is he. Tell me what is wrong... M. D. :He just purchased a Ford!! My surprise !! Exelent electronics.. I drive on and off road, tow a small trailer for an ATV.. Handles VG. I definitly try a newer model !! At the beginig gas was not so great... Rear bumper should be stronger.... More space to enter back seat...

Drives very smoth and is high. 17 inch wheels Sufficient power for a small suv.

Additional space to access rear seats Stronger towing bumper

Owned used for 1 & 1/2 years - fun
By NITH

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned for 18 months. It's been great to drive. Great for short camping trips. I've also driven it long distances with easy. It is a solid vehicle I don't ever have to worry about. Perfect vehicle for single or married w/o kids. CD Player is awesome. Backseat is hard for people to get into. DO NOT TOW WITH THIS VEHICLE! I towed a Mini Cooper on a full size trailer and burnt my brakes out. Quick and a great daily driver.

Power Seats, 6 disc CD Changer, Moonroof, Fold down back seats, power windows, cruise. My previous vehicle was a 1966 F-100. Enough said.

Back seat is quite roomy, but hard to access. The rear bumper needs the upgrade of the hide-a-hitch bumper.

GOOD LOOKING TRUCK
By WELDON SIMMONS

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have not had the truck but a month, but like the looks of it. At times I wish I had of brought the 4 door due to the inconvenance of the back seat passanger. Additionally I hate the gas milage with a passion. All in all not a bad truck, and I say truck because thats what it rides like, a truck.

The way the front and the back is made, and the sound system

Make it a smoother ride and do something about the gas milage without taking away from the performance

Creating a convert
By alkimther

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always been a Ford fan, but my husband was a Chevy fan. After my 93 Mustang finally started dying after 120,000 miles and through no fault of it's own he was changing his mind. After we got the Explorer Sport he has totally changed his mind and now loves Fords. It's my truck and I hardly even get to drive it. Being chauffered isn't so bad after all. We live in the country so we put ALOT of miles on our vehicles and we have had no major problems yet. Kim

leg and head room, nice factory stereo system, comfortable for long trips, smooth ride, handles nicely,

easier access to the back seat from driver's side, side covers at bottom of seats need to hug the seat more closely or stop before front edge of seat, too easy to catch corner of it with a shoe or foot, especially if the seat is close to dash