Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Awesome SUV
By Brando

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for 4 1/2 years and it's been flawless. I used to be a diehard GM customer but my last 2 vehicles have been Fords and I have been very happy with them. It's unfortunate that Ford discontinued the Sport since it was the perfect size for someone without kids. The reliability has been excellent and I still love the looks of it as much as when I bought it.

The exterior styling, performance, dash layout, fun to drive.

I like a stiff ride but I know some would find it too harsh.

Had NO Problems
By Offroader

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've only owned a handfull of American cars in my 58 years -- and never expected to purchase a "FORD". I wanted an SUV, liked the styling and price of the Explorer Sport, and from the 30K miles when I purchased it, to the 64K miles I now have on it, its reliability has been exceptional. Living in NJ where the climate can be brutal in the winter, this vehicle has started without exception and run flawlessly. The 4WD is of course absolutely essential for this environment and has performed well.

Rides high; drives like a "truck" but nevertheless fun to drive. All interior features (mine is loaded) work well and are very functional.

Independent rear suspension; greater access room between the front and rear seats.

So far so good.
By MandaLou

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Explorer about a year and half ago. I am pleased with it. It's a fun little gadget to drive, but not too roomy if you want to haul around friends. Body style is great and the handling is good as well. The fuel economy could improve, but that is with all SUVs. Good car if you are young and on the go!

The fog lights and keyless entry.

Fuel economy, make ride more smoother.

Decent little ride
By Bigg E

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my truck for about a year and so far so good. My only complaints are the harsh ride over anything but smooth highway. It definately rides like a truck. The short wheelbase makes it bounce all over the lane when you hit a bump. Overall, I like my truck. It was a great deal. 4x4 works good. I would recommend it to anyone that is single or does not plan to carry a lot of passengers. Good cargo room for its size. Has not given me any problems either.

Stereo, power driver's seat

Ride quality.

2001 Explorer Sport
By KFrost

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive but too many problems. Timing chain rattle at 43K, steering wheel vibration in parking maneuvers, faulty rear window wiper, and premature rust of rear bumper and side bars. Mechanical problems are covered under certified vehicle and another extended warranty, but I'm on my own with exterior surface rusting on a 3 year old vehicle.

Performance and driver visibility.

Paint, and better quality control at time of manufacturing.