2001 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews 10

2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
Disappointed.
By JackAM on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm very disappointed with my Explorer. It handles terribly, even dangerously, and wants to veer off to the right and left when it hits potholes that for other cars that would be inconsequential. The interior also has a very cheap feel.

Exploder Sport
By Kewina on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

A decent truck to drive. Rode even better after I replaced the recalled Wilderness AT's with Michelin LTX's.

Love My Explorer
By Maxamillion51 on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I went from a fll size 4x4 GMC Truck to the Explorer Sport. I thought that I would not be happy with a smaller truck but I love my Explorer. The only thing that I wish is that ford would give it a bit more ground clearance and Traction control on the 4x2 model.

Ford - Quality is Job One????
By TreManFoo on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Abosolutely pitiful build quality. The dashboard rattles and squeeks incessantly from no less than three different areas. And the center console makes a loud knocking noise while driving, the cheap plastic began cracking after less than two months on the road. Let's see...the overhead console dangles from the roof because only 2 of the four screws were actually installed at the factory; and my favorite - the doors are made out of recycled beer cans, I believe. When you close the doors you get a crashing metal-on-metal sound, not the nice solid "whoomp" that other new vehicles (that cost far less, btw) exhibit. The ride is terrible...wear your kidney belt.

Lemon or new model year glitches?
By TVSP on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

In the first six months of owning my Explorer Sport the following has been replaced for defects: the electronic control module (the brain), the fuel pump, the back window shield wiper, the outer door molding, the oxygen sensor for emissions, the interior "cruise control lights". This is my second Explorer Sport. My first one (a 1998 model) was the polar oppposite of this one...never a problem and it saved my life in a rollover crash at 70mph. While the reliability on my existing Explorer is questionable, the safety systems are impeccable. At least I have the peace of mind in knowing that this vehicle can and will save my life. And let's face it, that is worth a lot!

A few problems, overall satisfied
By Hound on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Like the cool looking 2001 body (hate the 2002) Fun to drive, but seat back is uncomfortable on long rides, needs to be more ergonomic (SP?). One year into ownership, it overheated on very short trips. Mechanic said he is seeing a lot of bad thermostats on the v6's. At 32,000 miles now, noticed a very slight delay in upshifting and a small loss of power. Dealer said everything OK. (Will be, I'm sure until warrenty runs out). Large cargo area ideal to have have a lunchtime quickie with girlfriend at work. Hey, you have to think of these things.

Good Vehicle
By James H on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car a year ago and have almost 30,000 miles on it. It has been a very good car and I take it everywhere. Will definitely drive it until it cant be driven anymore.

Good value for SUV
By benny981 on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looked at other smaller SUV like the Pathfinder and 4Runner. Based on performance/price. The smaller Explorer is a much better value if this is a used as a second car and you already have a Minivan or something else that will seat seven. As far as reliability, you may use the money you saved on the purchase to but an extended warranty (just in case). The Pathfinder with similar options is low-mid 30s., The 4Runner is a little lower, but at 183 HP and lower tourque, it's a no-brainer. I'm happy with my choice and I saved at least 7-8K on the purchase price.

Mine is GREAT!!!
By Dr Beat on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this vechicle. Ford does it again with inpressing me. I am not too happy with the Fuel Economy; However, everyone tells me it is still good for an SUV.

2001 explorer sport Z2
By Frisco on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great vehicle for a teenager. Not a great vehicle for a young couple.