2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
I made a mistake getting rid of mine
By vwispos on 09/10/13 22:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My explorer ran so perfect I loved it. Never had a check engine light or anything! It got okay gas especially to be an SUV. Only thing I ever had to replace was rotors. I hear of some problems from them though so make sure to buy one in great condition and it will become your best friend.

Original owner 2001 Ford Explorer Sport
By b52man on 07/06/12 12:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in June of 2001. Since that time I have logged 158000 miles in it and it is still going strong and still used as a daily driver. I have changed the brake pads, tires, and a fuel sensor and of course have kept my oil changed every 3500 miles.

keeps on going
By belldawgmom3 on 08/01/11 19:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my ford with 45k miles and owned it about 8 years now. At 250k miles replaced transmission well worth it I am over 300k miles and still going strong. This suv has been all over this state with school activities football , ffa and etrc. as well on manay of hunting trips it has been used for everything you can think of. It still drives 5 miles of dirt road and 70 miles a day to work. This suv has been very good to us wish I could aford to buy another one. Thank you

Best car I've ever owned!
By misspriss82 on 05/02/11 11:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2-door used in 2003 for $14k, with 25k miles on it. I now have 120k miles on it after 8 years of owning it and have decided it is time to start researching for something new. I haven't had ANY problems with this vehicle. I've had to do regular maintenance and I'm just now replacing the brakes that went out this week. This has been a fantastic vehicle and I will be sad to trade it in. I think it would be a great car for a high school student learning how to drive. I did have to replace the cd player, as it stopped working.

Reliable Transportation
By bbm on 02/20/11 21:23 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 Sport after my '99 Sport was totalled 2 years ago with around 118,000 miles on it. I've never had to anything other than routine oil changes, etc and I've put about 20,000 miles on it. I'm not easy on cars either. The only issues I've had with it is that it is hard to start (it doesn't crank immediately) and the disc changer stopped working. Unfortunately, someone rear-ended me and totalled this one 2 weeks ago. As long as only having 2 doors (NOT fun for travelling or people with children) and bad gas mileage (15-16 mpg city) don't bother you, this is a great SUV. I would recommend an Explorer in a heartbeat.

Fabulously Reliable
By Jared on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2WD EX Sport 5 years ago with 70K miles. It now has 127,000. It has been a fabulously reliable vehicle-- but I do a lot of preventative maintenance on my vehicles. There are a few rattles and it rides a bit rough on bumpy roads. Only seats 4. The fabric seats look brand new. Excellent quality. Much lighter than a 4 door 4WD Explorer and is quite peppy. The silver painted finish on the console chips easily. I Average 18 MPG. 22 on the FWY. Idles a bit rough, but runs smoothly. Actually does pretty well in the snow for a 2 WD vehicle.

My 2001 explorer sport
By stan on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent overall vehicle i purchased mine used with about 20k miles Sept 2002 and i have had it serviced regularly by the Ford dealership if you do not take care of your vehicle it will not take of you i have just went over 100k miles other than the cruise control recall (i had to go without it for two days), the battery dying about 6yrs ago, and having to recently replace the original tires, i have had no problems with it at all, my paint job needs a touch-up and two of the original three overhead handles are missing in the interior but has always been dependable i always made it to work and back even in some pretty bad storms that some 18 wheelers could not make, it's a truck and a good one

Fun While It Lasted
By M4NU3L on 10/22/09 16:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a daily driver with 110,000 miles on it. It was fun at first. Had no problems the first three weeks, then the problems began. I did a complete tune up to the vehicle and I was still only getting 11 MPG. After all the maintenance was up to date, the check engine light came on a day later. After a compression check I found out the valves were sticking and the heads needed to be replaced, an expensive fix. Then a day later the front wheels started shaking really bad and the rear differential was giving off a high pitched whine. After taking it to a mechanic I found out the 4 front balljoints and 2 A-arms had to be replaced. BUY WITH CAUTION.

Best Little SUV Ever
By FORDMAN on 01/28/09 20:13 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2001 Explorer sport since 2003 when I was in college. Since then I've clocked more than 100000 miles in it. Aside from a trip to the dealer for a bad air flow sensor she's been good to me. Never let me down, always started, still runs like a champ. I love the interior layout, while small I always seem to find room for what I'm hauling when I lay the seats flat. Sadly I will soon have to part with her as I'm about to have a baby and will need to upgrade to another Explorer (this time the sport trac) to have 4 doors to fit the baby.

Tuff little truck, couldn't be happier!
By Liz on 12/31/08 11:33 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport SUV 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck! Only problem so far was covered by warrenty. Size is perfect for someone like me, no kids, 2 dogs, unmarried. Handles like a dream in the snow and carries 4 snow boards, 4 people and all the gear without any trouble or feeling weighed down. Surf board fits on top and running boards make it easy enough to strap the board on top. This truck has been very cheap to own and so far has only required maintenance to keep running; it has over 125k miles on it! Can't say enough good things about it and I will drive it until it wont start anymore. Switched out the stock shocks for Monroe and couldn't be happier. It's the only mod I made and I will never go back to stock shocks.

1 2 3 4 5 next »