Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Base Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

2001 explorer still going
By bebolishes

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am only owner. Bough it off deliver truck. I have never had to put tiers or battier in this truck until 2012. I always ask if need I need too get new ,but was told not yet. I am very sorry to see the miles getting so high {well over 100000] . I would buy the same when the time comes, when every that is. drove in just about every snow strome, in 4 wheele drive . I even stoped to ask police officer who went off the road with 4wheeler suv if I could help him out. Sorry I can not spell worth a dam. Anyhow how i love my little green baby 2001.

Great little automatic 4x4 SUV
By tracycali

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought in 2003 w/60000 miles on it. Now has 120,000 and still runs like new with only regular maintenance. We have family that live in the Sierra's at the end of a dirt and gravel road. This little 4x4 always makes it up there no problem with all-season tires; mud, snow, whatever. I added a class 3 bolt-on 4 point hitch receiver and it tows a 3500lb boat/trailer no problem. Just had dings removed and repainted same dark teal metallic and it looks like MONEY!

4WD automatic at the flip of a switch is great convenience. The styling still looks fresh.

The cladding around the bottom is overdone, but not terrible. holds up well to abuse :->. Your Edmunds vehicle types only allow 5M models, but I believe most people probably have the automatic.

Realistic Review
By Aniketos

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The drive is really good and very comfortable, tons of space in the back especially with the seats down. Winter is a joke for for it. Interior is nothing special. exterior looks like a regular suv. Gas on it is so so. Power on it is just beast,

Speed, Space and POWAAAAA

Too many Problems
By Al

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am the original owner and bought in March 2000. Only has 60,000 and had to rebuild transmission at 50,000. The key lock does not always unlock tailgate. Had the hood and top repainted (at Ford Dealer) three times due to acid rain (poor paint). My other cars not had the problem. Has many squeaks and noises. I have vehicle cleaned and waxed regularly and the back bumper is rusted. I would not buy a Ford again.

Standard power train warrantee should be mileage only for those of us who have low yearly mileage.

OK
By 4drtruck

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the most part a good SUV. Have had trouble with the interior. The arm rest broke off and the driver side seat is sagging from getting in and out. The 4 wheel drive will go through anything, the best i've seen. Been a couple recalls with the recent having to disconnect the cruise control due to fire hazard. Frustrating trying to fit stuff in small vehicle but it is a 2 door sport

4-wheel drive

don't make anymore so no point