Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer-sport - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

I made a mistake getting rid of mine
By vwispos

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My explorer ran so perfect I loved it. Never had a check engine light or anything! It got okay gas especially to be an SUV. Only thing I ever had to replace was rotors. I hear of some problems from them though so make sure to buy one in great condition and it will become your best friend.

Favorite Features

interior was amazing and the reliability was awesome

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage lol

Original owner 2001 Ford Explorer Sport
By b52man

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in June of 2001. Since that time I have logged 158000 miles in it and it is still going strong and still used as a daily driver. I have changed the brake pads, tires, and a fuel sensor and of course have kept my oil changed every 3500 miles.

keeps on going
By belldawgmom3

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my ford with 45k miles and owned it about 8 years now. At 250k miles replaced transmission well worth it I am over 300k miles and still going strong. This suv has been all over this state with school activities football , ffa and etrc. as well on manay of hunting trips it has been used for everything you can think of. It still drives 5 miles of dirt road and 70 miles a day to work. This suv has been very good to us wish I could aford to buy another one. Thank you

Suggested Improvements

door lock problems

Best car I've ever owned!
By misspriss82

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2-door used in 2003 for $14k, with 25k miles on it. I now have 120k miles on it after 8 years of owning it and have decided it is time to start researching for something new. I haven't had ANY problems with this vehicle. I've had to do regular maintenance and I'm just now replacing the brakes that went out this week. This has been a fantastic vehicle and I will be sad to trade it in. I think it would be a great car for a high school student learning how to drive. I did have to replace the cd player, as it stopped working.

Favorite Features

I like the model style, super reliable, plenty of cargo space, hardly any blind spots!

Suggested Improvements

I miss having a 4-door vehicle, I also don't like the sunroof's open/closing button, its hard to tell if it's closed or not, so I never open it anymore.

Reliable Transportation
By bbm

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 Sport after my '99 Sport was totalled 2 years ago with around 118,000 miles on it. I've never had to anything other than routine oil changes, etc and I've put about 20,000 miles on it. I'm not easy on cars either. The only issues I've had with it is that it is hard to start (it doesn't crank immediately) and the disc changer stopped working. Unfortunately, someone rear-ended me and totalled this one 2 weeks ago. As long as only having 2 doors (NOT fun for travelling or people with children) and bad gas mileage (15-16 mpg city) don't bother you, this is a great SUV. I would recommend an Explorer in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine