Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

2001 explorer still going
By bebolishes

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am only owner. Bough it off deliver truck. I have never had to put tiers or battier in this truck until 2012. I always ask if need I need too get new ,but was told not yet. I am very sorry to see the miles getting so high {well over 100000] . I would buy the same when the time comes, when every that is. drove in just about every snow strome, in 4 wheele drive . I even stoped to ask police officer who went off the road with 4wheeler suv if I could help him out. Sorry I can not spell worth a dam. Anyhow how i love my little green baby 2001.

I made a mistake getting rid of mine
By vwispos

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My explorer ran so perfect I loved it. Never had a check engine light or anything! It got okay gas especially to be an SUV. Only thing I ever had to replace was rotors. I hear of some problems from them though so make sure to buy one in great condition and it will become your best friend.

interior was amazing and the reliability was awesome

better gas mileage lol

Great little automatic 4x4 SUV
By tracycali

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought in 2003 w/60000 miles on it. Now has 120,000 and still runs like new with only regular maintenance. We have family that live in the Sierra's at the end of a dirt and gravel road. This little 4x4 always makes it up there no problem with all-season tires; mud, snow, whatever. I added a class 3 bolt-on 4 point hitch receiver and it tows a 3500lb boat/trailer no problem. Just had dings removed and repainted same dark teal metallic and it looks like MONEY!

4WD automatic at the flip of a switch is great convenience. The styling still looks fresh.

The cladding around the bottom is overdone, but not terrible. holds up well to abuse :->. Your Edmunds vehicle types only allow 5M models, but I believe most people probably have the automatic.

Original owner 2001 Ford Explorer Sport
By b52man

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in June of 2001. Since that time I have logged 158000 miles in it and it is still going strong and still used as a daily driver. I have changed the brake pads, tires, and a fuel sensor and of course have kept my oil changed every 3500 miles.

keeps on going
By belldawgmom3

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my ford with 45k miles and owned it about 8 years now. At 250k miles replaced transmission well worth it I am over 300k miles and still going strong. This suv has been all over this state with school activities football , ffa and etrc. as well on manay of hunting trips it has been used for everything you can think of. It still drives 5 miles of dirt road and 70 miles a day to work. This suv has been very good to us wish I could aford to buy another one. Thank you

door lock problems