Used 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Primary Vehicle
By J. Hines

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Pretty much satisfied with the vehicle. Only drawbacks are fuel economy, of which I am getting close to 18 mpg around town, and the tire pressure indicator keeps going off. Have had 2 dealerships look at the tire pressure indicator but no solution yet.

Favorite Features

View from drivers seat, comfort, handling

Suggested Improvements

Better location and quality workmanship of cup holders, overhead console storage compartments, and arm rest storage compartment.

All Fords Trucks Need This Style
By Dennis

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Test drove several different full-size trucks models including Ford. Had an F- 150 for 11 years. Not much had changed on the interior including, entire front display panel and radio. I was disappointed with this until I test dove the Sport Trac. It's like getting the inside comfort and styling of a luxury car, yet with the manly toughness and sporty styling of a truck. I get 23 mpg on the highway and 17 mpg in town. This is slightly better than my previous F-150. My family and I really enjoy going places in this remarkable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Performance,Overall Styling and Family Comfort

Suggested Improvements

MPG & Truck was sold with GoodYear Fortera Tires. These tires now have nearly 20,000 miles on them and will need to be replaced in about 5,000 from now. These are suppose to be 50,000+ mile tires. This is the biggest disappointment so far. Car dealer claims that there is no problem with these tires?

Perfect so far
By PaCOP

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have this vehcle about a month and thus far it is great. The Sport Trac seems the perfect fit as I wanted something between a full size pick up and a compact. The bed's a little small but still capable of hauling 4x8 sheets when fitted with a couple 2x4 in the notches in the bed. The interior is roomy and comfortable. Not extravagant but I am still satisfied. MPG could be improved, so far getting 16mpg but would prefer if Ford could up that to 20. The V6 has been adequate and the 5 speed auto is smooth. satelite radio is nice. The molded bed w/ compartments and tiedowns is well designed. Overall look is very appealing.

Favorite Features

I like the overall appearance as well as the interior room. Versatlity of having the bed is nice. Satellite radio is nice, rides good. Dark blue is nice color.

Suggested Improvements

MPG could be improved. I'm getting 16 mpg. Weird inside door handles. Side mirrors could be slightly larger. Console storage just a bit wider to fit a CD. Garage opener holder is wasted space. Tonneau cover should be easier to remove. Black cloth interior should be all black, not two tone with camel

SporTrac
By Jared

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle out of necessity. We just had a new baby and needed bigger trunk space. Unfortunately, I traded quality for price and ended up paying for it in the end. Good power in the lower gears, so, you'll get going pretty quickly, but then the power drops off quickly once you get into the upper gears. I always had an extremely hard time passing anyone above 50MPH without hammering down the gas pedal. A lot of plastic interior, comfortable seats for short drives, but horrible on your lower back on drives of 3 hours or more. SYNC feature is horrible! Even speaking slowly and clearly, I'd have to repeat myself 2-3 times for the system to recognize what I was trying to say.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior body style. Tonneau cover is excellent

Suggested Improvements

More powerful V6. More inviting interior, plastic everywhere!

Built Ford Tough
By bwhite

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my V6 XLT for three months and I have been very happy with my purchase. I don't need to haul large or heavy objects very often, so the small bed works for me. The ride is comfortable and composed. The V6 has plenty of power and everything has been reliable. Ford needs to work on the fuel economy. I am not dissappointed with the mileage, but I think Ford could do better.

Favorite Features

Truck bed, mp3 auxillary jack

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, parking brake release is too low on the dash