2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Review: I like a lot, but

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Review

I like a lot, but
By ScriberDF on

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

All things equal, I like this truck a lot. It does what I wanted it to do, and 21 mpg on the highway is slightly better than what I thought I'd get. Power is good, comfort is good, not great (cloth seats). However, there are a couple things I'm a little irritated by: The tailgate has literally come off in my hands four times in the past year, and I'm told "that's the way it was designed," to come off easily so it could be replaced with the tailgates that allow air to flow through (don't know the term for them). That's fine, but this is very, very poorly thought out. The tailgate should not accidentally come off; there should be a latch or other device that needs to be disabled first.

Power, lots of it. At 21 mpg highway, probably 16 in city, it's slightly better on highway than I thought it would be. Stereo is good, although there was no MP3/Aux jack to plug into, as I had understood there was. The storage compartments in the box are OK, but a little hard to get at.

Again, the tailgate is just not well thought-out. The right latch is actually not a latch, but a notch in the gate that slides onto a hub. Nothing holds it on. I've had it fall off into my hands when I've unloaded a snowblower. And today, it was pushed off the hub by a bag or garbage. That's wrong.