Used 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Most Helpful|
Great Truck
By FordFan76

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Limited 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My wife has a 2002 Explorer which we love. The newly redesigned Explorer and Sport Trac are even better. My truck is quieter, safer, and slightly better on gas. It is also a great compromise for people who don't want a full size truck but still want the capabilities of one. The only problem I have experienced so far was a jerky transmission, which was fixed under warranty by adjusting the computer settings. Some improvements: needs more cushioning in the steering wheel. I drive two hours to work and I find my hands getting sore frequently. Put the shifter back on the column. It isn't as "cool" but you have a lot more space on the center console.

Favorite Features

Great Looks, esp with the limited chrome package. Auxillary jack for Ipod, in bed storage, payload capacity, many tie downs in bed, power rear window. Improved interior door handles in this model are nice and they should add them to the rear doors. Improved warranty for drivetrain.

Suggested Improvements

The storage compartments in the bed are great unless you haul a yard of mulch. The gaps are too big and the mulch gets clogged. Gas mileage still needs improvement but it's not too bad for an almost 300hp V-8. Six speed tranny needs some fine tuning in my opinion. More comfortable steering wheel.

Problem Solver
By SEVEREBEAGLE

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My lease is finally over! I really enjoyed this wanna be truck, too bad the gas mileage was not great. 16 mpg on a good week of city driving. I wish the new 2009 was out but not at the dealer yet. Two things need to improve, the gas mileage and the small compartments in the bed should be waterproof and with locks of some kind. I am really gonna miss this one.

Favorite Features

Really smooth ride and very roomy inside.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, locks on the bed compartments, somewhere to plug in my mp3 player.

Looks good
By Marsha K

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2007 Sport Trac and it looks good but the gas mileage leaves something to be desired. It is comfortable and I like the fact that the rear seat can seat adults or fold down for the dogs. The little cubbyholes in the bed seem to be pretty useless. One is unreachable unless I climb into the bed of the truck. The other two aren't even deep enough to hold a bottle of oil upright. I can keep bungee cords in one. I just drove it four hours straight with no discomfort so it fits me pretty good. 5'7 female. The Gas tank is on the wrong side for the USA and the interior door handle is inconvenient.

Favorite Features

I really like the fact that the rear seats fold down. The dogs don't shed all over the rear seat and I can put a quilt on the flat back easier so it is easier to protect from dirty paws or carsickness. UGH!

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE! I get 14/18 mpg.. I keep thinking about my 10 yr old 4 cyl S10 that gets 19/24 mpg. Shouldn't the car makers be able to make a decent sized vehicle that gets 20 + mpg with regularity? Who put the gas tank on the right side? In the USA we drive on the right and need the tank on the left

Not bad, no complaints
By dn010

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a V6 XLT 2X4 in 2010 used from a dealer with 56K, I am now at about 87K. Issues I've experienced: one rear wheel bearing went bad, replaced for about $75 doing the work myself, also had check engine light for engine under-heating, replaced stuck open thermostat myself and turned off the light with my code reader - good to go. I've put in new rear brake pads only, spark plugs, I keep the engine happy with full synthetic. I drive to NY from FL yearly, gone up and back twice (over 2400 miles each trip) and have had no problems. I can TOW my 25' cuddy boat @ 4K lbs and my 18' boat @ around 2500 - can pull the 18' out of the water, haven't tried with the 25' and I doubt I will.

Favorite Features

My sport trac came with the fiberglass tonneau cover which I like, I can lock things in the back and not worry about it. The storage in the back is fine, I keep my hitch and jump cables in the one you need to climb into the back of the bed to reach and then tie downs in the other smaller ones. It's very roomy and comfortable inside - I drive to NY with my wife, 2 children-one of them in a car seat, and my dog all in the back seat. I loaded the back bed to the brink with my stuff from NY and drove all the way to FL with no problems.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Ford would have put a pull handle (putting it nicely) on the drivers side, especially when trying to climb in it. There is one on the passenger side only. Also some kind of improvement with the gas cap; I have to lube mine I guess because it doesn't rotate on the plastic ring that holds it to the truck. My rear turn signal bulbs keep dying for some reason, went through 2 already, never replaced the front signals. When I got the truck the center console cover latch broke & my seat back (arch) adjusting knob never worked since I got it. You also have to get used to the transmission.

Better Than Original
By Yette

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Limited 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I previously owned a 2004 Sport Trac, the 2007 version is a much better vehicle, quieter, quicker, better handling and more roomy. When I drive down the highway, the Limited edition is as tall if not taller than many F150's and Chevy trucks. The handling is car-like. The Sport Trac does well in snow and rain where the 2004 felt like it could get away at any time.

Favorite Features

I love the power remote rear window. I drive with it open most of the time, it provides some cooling with little wind noise. I also appreciate the exterior styling of the vehicle. A guy parks his Honda Ridgeline next to me at work but my buddies say the Ford looks much more aggressive.

Suggested Improvements

I guess the same as everyone else, better fuel economy, I'm averaging 17 miles to the gallon with mostly highway driving.