Used 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

I like a lot, but
By ScriberDF

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

All things equal, I like this truck a lot. It does what I wanted it to do, and 21 mpg on the highway is slightly better than what I thought I'd get. Power is good, comfort is good, not great (cloth seats). However, there are a couple things I'm a little irritated by: The tailgate has literally come off in my hands four times in the past year, and I'm told "that's the way it was designed," to come off easily so it could be replaced with the tailgates that allow air to flow through (don't know the term for them). That's fine, but this is very, very poorly thought out. The tailgate should not accidentally come off; there should be a latch or other device that needs to be disabled first.

Power, lots of it. At 21 mpg highway, probably 16 in city, it's slightly better on highway than I thought it would be. Stereo is good, although there was no MP3/Aux jack to plug into, as I had understood there was. The storage compartments in the box are OK, but a little hard to get at.

Again, the tailgate is just not well thought-out. The right latch is actually not a latch, but a notch in the gate that slides onto a hub. Nothing holds it on. I've had it fall off into my hands when I've unloaded a snowblower. And today, it was pushed off the hub by a bag or garbage. That's wrong.

Great vehicle
By ryan

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Easily fits five adults, very pratical, seamless automatic four wheel drive, awsome towing power for a small truck, independent suspension gives a car like ride, rear sliding window is great for hauling a few 12 foot pieces of lumber, storage areas in the bed are perfect for tools, ropes, bungee cords etc. The Sport Trac gets decent mileage considering it is a four wheel drive with a V-8. An average tank gives 19 miles per gallon with a mix of highway and around town. I traded my 2002 Sport Trac for this one. It had 120,000 miles and all I did was tires at 70k and all 4 brakes at 90k plus oil changes.

V-8, rear sliding window, steering wheel radio controls, 4x4 system

Needs a new grille/front end, it looks too much like a regular Explorer

Great Truck For The Money
By Grego

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great truck in a mid-size. Not as big as the F150 and still packs a punch with the V8. I have a boat that I trailer around all the time with no problems. The inside is roomy and comfortable and the amount of plastic used is minimal which gives the truck a rattle-free ride and a nice luxury feel. The exterior styling is functional (no non-functional hood scoop) and still looks tough and not "girly" like the Tacoma or Frontier.

Compact size with big engine makes a highly manuverable and practical truck. If youre a weekender and dont have a need for a big bulky truck to haul around lawn mowing equipment in this truck is for you.

Radio steering wheel controls were left out for 2007 but I see they have them for 2008. Gas mileage is pretty bad. Around town I get 13 and on the highway I only get 20 even though its rated higher. Both interior color options are light colors. Need to add a dark one that doesnt show the dirt.

Issues!
By Corey

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited 4dr Crew Cab (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I wasn't even looking at Ford. Thought I would look at the Explorer and ended up driving it off the lot. I was initially very impressed with car, still am sort of. It has just had too many problems. Transmission is horrible. It keeps shifting as I decellerate to a stop. Very jerky tranny. Ford said they were aware of the problem, but didn't have a fix. They eventually "reprogrammed" the transmission, which worked for a while, but it's acting very jerky again. Have had issues, gear shifter, and exterior lights too. I may have just gotten a bad one, nonetheless I'm not buying another Ford.

Engine is good, comfort is good. ride is good.

Doors are layed out very poorly. Handles are not in a good position. Fords excuse that they were trying to improve side impact protection is a poor one.

2007 Sport Trac
By Good truck; BUT

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I owned a 2003 Sport Trac for 5 years, love the truck. Can't think of one bad thing. In 2007 when Ford came out with the V-8 engine, I though wow that will be great. So I purchase one with the V-8 engine, and I love everything about the V-8, love that power. But on my Sport Trac V-8 engine, if you let is sit for a day or two, when you start the engine, it will burn oil and blue smoke like a dog. Had it in the shop a few times, of course the computer has everything good. I believe it is valve guild seals, and of course Ford do not want to open the engine, as I don't want a new truck that someone had to do engine work on it.

Everything, great truck, love the new interior with the gear shift in floor. Ride is much better than my 2002. Looks so much better that the older models.

Rear glass defroster, make better use under back seats for storage where items will not slide around. Do not see a need for in truck bed storage, I have nevered use my. Move the back window switch back down on dash and over the temp and compass back up to over head.