Used 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Great Truck
By Fireman31

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I wanted a truck, but didn't want a full size. Did a lot of research and found this truck to be the best choice out of them all. I get better fuel numbers than i ever thought. Just did a 3000 mile trip and averaged 24 on the highway, and thats with cruise set at 75. Went camping on this trip and the truck was great. Stuffed it to the max. I was able to fit something everywhere. I love all the storage. Toyota needs to get over itself. You can't go wrong with this truck. All I've had to do is change the oil. Granted I've only had it for 5000 miles, but I'm thoroughly impressed with everything this truck brings to the table. Ford is coming back for a reckoning.

Favorite Features

I like the storage bins in the bed. Also having a tonneau cover is great. I can lock it and not worry about someone getting to everything. I also like the ride. Very comfortable for those long trips.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any at this time.

Not bad, no complaints
By dn010

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a V6 XLT 2X4 in 2010 used from a dealer with 56K, I am now at about 87K. Issues I've experienced: one rear wheel bearing went bad, replaced for about $75 doing the work myself, also had check engine light for engine under-heating, replaced stuck open thermostat myself and turned off the light with my code reader - good to go. I've put in new rear brake pads only, spark plugs, I keep the engine happy with full synthetic. I drive to NY from FL yearly, gone up and back twice (over 2400 miles each trip) and have had no problems. I can TOW my 25' cuddy boat @ 4K lbs and my 18' boat @ around 2500 - can pull the 18' out of the water, haven't tried with the 25' and I doubt I will.

Favorite Features

My sport trac came with the fiberglass tonneau cover which I like, I can lock things in the back and not worry about it. The storage in the back is fine, I keep my hitch and jump cables in the one you need to climb into the back of the bed to reach and then tie downs in the other smaller ones. It's very roomy and comfortable inside - I drive to NY with my wife, 2 children-one of them in a car seat, and my dog all in the back seat. I loaded the back bed to the brink with my stuff from NY and drove all the way to FL with no problems.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Ford would have put a pull handle (putting it nicely) on the drivers side, especially when trying to climb in it. There is one on the passenger side only. Also some kind of improvement with the gas cap; I have to lube mine I guess because it doesn't rotate on the plastic ring that holds it to the truck. My rear turn signal bulbs keep dying for some reason, went through 2 already, never replaced the front signals. When I got the truck the center console cover latch broke & my seat back (arch) adjusting knob never worked since I got it. You also have to get used to the transmission.

Looks good
By Marsha K

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2007 Sport Trac and it looks good but the gas mileage leaves something to be desired. It is comfortable and I like the fact that the rear seat can seat adults or fold down for the dogs. The little cubbyholes in the bed seem to be pretty useless. One is unreachable unless I climb into the bed of the truck. The other two aren't even deep enough to hold a bottle of oil upright. I can keep bungee cords in one. I just drove it four hours straight with no discomfort so it fits me pretty good. 5'7 female. The Gas tank is on the wrong side for the USA and the interior door handle is inconvenient.

Favorite Features

I really like the fact that the rear seats fold down. The dogs don't shed all over the rear seat and I can put a quilt on the flat back easier so it is easier to protect from dirty paws or carsickness. UGH!

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE! I get 14/18 mpg.. I keep thinking about my 10 yr old 4 cyl S10 that gets 19/24 mpg. Shouldn't the car makers be able to make a decent sized vehicle that gets 20 + mpg with regularity? Who put the gas tank on the right side? In the USA we drive on the right and need the tank on the left

Problem Solver
By SEVEREBEAGLE

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My lease is finally over! I really enjoyed this wanna be truck, too bad the gas mileage was not great. 16 mpg on a good week of city driving. I wish the new 2009 was out but not at the dealer yet. Two things need to improve, the gas mileage and the small compartments in the bed should be waterproof and with locks of some kind. I am really gonna miss this one.

Favorite Features

Really smooth ride and very roomy inside.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, locks on the bed compartments, somewhere to plug in my mp3 player.

Excellent Overall
By alexv

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use mine daily in the constuction industry. I travel a lot and commute daily around the Dallas area for projects. Overall, the truck is great. Excellent acceleration, interior room, decent trunk space & adequate towing. It is highly functional for the American family. Plenty of room for the kids in the cab & space in the trunk to bring stuff home from Home Depot. Lumbar support is nonexistant, as long trips can be brutal on the lower back.

Favorite Features

PosiTrac for rear wheels. Exterior looks rugged and contemporary.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support.