Used 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Explorer-sport-trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Not bad, no complaints
By dn010

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a V6 XLT 2X4 in 2010 used from a dealer with 56K, I am now at about 87K. Issues I've experienced: one rear wheel bearing went bad, replaced for about $75 doing the work myself, also had check engine light for engine under-heating, replaced stuck open thermostat myself and turned off the light with my code reader - good to go. I've put in new rear brake pads only, spark plugs, I keep the engine happy with full synthetic. I drive to NY from FL yearly, gone up and back twice (over 2400 miles each trip) and have had no problems. I can TOW my 25' cuddy boat @ 4K lbs and my 18' boat @ around 2500 - can pull the 18' out of the water, haven't tried with the 25' and I doubt I will.

Favorite Features

My sport trac came with the fiberglass tonneau cover which I like, I can lock things in the back and not worry about it. The storage in the back is fine, I keep my hitch and jump cables in the one you need to climb into the back of the bed to reach and then tie downs in the other smaller ones. It's very roomy and comfortable inside - I drive to NY with my wife, 2 children-one of them in a car seat, and my dog all in the back seat. I loaded the back bed to the brink with my stuff from NY and drove all the way to FL with no problems.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Ford would have put a pull handle (putting it nicely) on the drivers side, especially when trying to climb in it. There is one on the passenger side only. Also some kind of improvement with the gas cap; I have to lube mine I guess because it doesn't rotate on the plastic ring that holds it to the truck. My rear turn signal bulbs keep dying for some reason, went through 2 already, never replaced the front signals. When I got the truck the center console cover latch broke & my seat back (arch) adjusting knob never worked since I got it. You also have to get used to the transmission.

Shame to see Sport Trac shelved
By J Knbr

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Compared Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Dodge. None came close in creature comforts. Sport Trac is great size for family hauler, sales people, weekend warrior chores, and fun driving. V8 is the way to go with this vehicle - plenty of power with my avg mileage (combined) very acceptable 19-20 mpg. Ford should find a way to keep ST alive...a little strategic advertising could go a long way.

Favorite Features

Fit and finish. Fun drive, comfortable un-trucklike ride. Great back seat for kids and adults.

Suggested Improvements

Advertise it and they will come. If could squeeze more mpg without sacrificing power, could really help draw soccer mom's and road warriors alike.

Looks good
By Marsha K

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2007 Sport Trac and it looks good but the gas mileage leaves something to be desired. It is comfortable and I like the fact that the rear seat can seat adults or fold down for the dogs. The little cubbyholes in the bed seem to be pretty useless. One is unreachable unless I climb into the bed of the truck. The other two aren't even deep enough to hold a bottle of oil upright. I can keep bungee cords in one. I just drove it four hours straight with no discomfort so it fits me pretty good. 5'7 female. The Gas tank is on the wrong side for the USA and the interior door handle is inconvenient.

Favorite Features

I really like the fact that the rear seats fold down. The dogs don't shed all over the rear seat and I can put a quilt on the flat back easier so it is easier to protect from dirty paws or carsickness. UGH!

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE! I get 14/18 mpg.. I keep thinking about my 10 yr old 4 cyl S10 that gets 19/24 mpg. Shouldn't the car makers be able to make a decent sized vehicle that gets 20 + mpg with regularity? Who put the gas tank on the right side? In the USA we drive on the right and need the tank on the left

This truck can do it all!
By Mike M

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned mine for just over 2 years and am the second owner. Truck has been nothing short of perfect. We take it everywhere. Vacation Road Trips, to the Beach, to the Mountains, around town, everywhere!! I've not yet found the task/chore that it couldn't handle and I do a ton of yard work and home improvement. The bed is approximately 2-3 inches deeper than a traditional pickup bed which makes it a breeze to pack gear into. I take good care of my truck and it takes care of me and my family.

Favorite Features

The built in compartments in the bed are perfect for keeping misc. gear (bug spray, tie downs, first aid kit, fishing gear, blankets, everything!!)

Suggested Improvements

Find a better place for the interior door handles, they are awkward and difficult to grab if the door opens suddenly due to a gust of wind, parking on a hill, etc. Gas mileage could be a bit better but is in line with other small pickups and mid-size SUV's.

Great secret model at Ford
By David

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Had to have a v8 and wife wanted this truck. It been rock solid as terms of reliability. I am large guy and takes some time to find a comfortable driving position. Interior is my only complaint. Hard plastic scratches easily and hard to keep clean. Handling is better than any truck I owned this is due to independent rear. Have every option but leather. Sound system is great. Some are complaining about mpg. We are getting 18.5 in combine driving of city and highway. On long highway trips we are getting 23 on average. Ford stand behind their warranty and had no issue when small issues came up. See below.

Favorite Features

V8 with 6spd tranny. Easy to clean flooring. Sporty driving for a heavy truck. Pretty good MPG for v8 and weight of the Sport Trac. Great warranty and dealership backing the vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastic material too easy to scratch and not easy to keep clean. Only had two repairs first the shifter broke(repaired under warranty no issue) Second was sun visor(again trouble free warranty issue)