Used 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Not bad, no complaints
By dn010

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a V6 XLT 2X4 in 2010 used from a dealer with 56K, I am now at about 87K. Issues I've experienced: one rear wheel bearing went bad, replaced for about $75 doing the work myself, also had check engine light for engine under-heating, replaced stuck open thermostat myself and turned off the light with my code reader - good to go. I've put in new rear brake pads only, spark plugs, I keep the engine happy with full synthetic. I drive to NY from FL yearly, gone up and back twice (over 2400 miles each trip) and have had no problems. I can TOW my 25' cuddy boat @ 4K lbs and my 18' boat @ around 2500 - can pull the 18' out of the water, haven't tried with the 25' and I doubt I will.

My sport trac came with the fiberglass tonneau cover which I like, I can lock things in the back and not worry about it. The storage in the back is fine, I keep my hitch and jump cables in the one you need to climb into the back of the bed to reach and then tie downs in the other smaller ones. It's very roomy and comfortable inside - I drive to NY with my wife, 2 children-one of them in a car seat, and my dog all in the back seat. I loaded the back bed to the brink with my stuff from NY and drove all the way to FL with no problems.

I wish Ford would have put a pull handle (putting it nicely) on the drivers side, especially when trying to climb in it. There is one on the passenger side only. Also some kind of improvement with the gas cap; I have to lube mine I guess because it doesn't rotate on the plastic ring that holds it to the truck. My rear turn signal bulbs keep dying for some reason, went through 2 already, never replaced the front signals. When I got the truck the center console cover latch broke & my seat back (arch) adjusting knob never worked since I got it. You also have to get used to the transmission.

Looks good
By Marsha K

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2007 Sport Trac and it looks good but the gas mileage leaves something to be desired. It is comfortable and I like the fact that the rear seat can seat adults or fold down for the dogs. The little cubbyholes in the bed seem to be pretty useless. One is unreachable unless I climb into the bed of the truck. The other two aren't even deep enough to hold a bottle of oil upright. I can keep bungee cords in one. I just drove it four hours straight with no discomfort so it fits me pretty good. 5'7 female. The Gas tank is on the wrong side for the USA and the interior door handle is inconvenient.

I really like the fact that the rear seats fold down. The dogs don't shed all over the rear seat and I can put a quilt on the flat back easier so it is easier to protect from dirty paws or carsickness. UGH!

GAS MILEAGE! I get 14/18 mpg.. I keep thinking about my 10 yr old 4 cyl S10 that gets 19/24 mpg. Shouldn't the car makers be able to make a decent sized vehicle that gets 20 + mpg with regularity? Who put the gas tank on the right side? In the USA we drive on the right and need the tank on the left

Problem Solver
By SEVEREBEAGLE

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My lease is finally over! I really enjoyed this wanna be truck, too bad the gas mileage was not great. 16 mpg on a good week of city driving. I wish the new 2009 was out but not at the dealer yet. Two things need to improve, the gas mileage and the small compartments in the bed should be waterproof and with locks of some kind. I am really gonna miss this one.

Really smooth ride and very roomy inside.

Gas mileage, locks on the bed compartments, somewhere to plug in my mp3 player.

Excellent Overall
By alexv

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use mine daily in the constuction industry. I travel a lot and commute daily around the Dallas area for projects. Overall, the truck is great. Excellent acceleration, interior room, decent trunk space & adequate towing. It is highly functional for the American family. Plenty of room for the kids in the cab & space in the trunk to bring stuff home from Home Depot. Lumbar support is nonexistant, as long trips can be brutal on the lower back.

PosiTrac for rear wheels. Exterior looks rugged and contemporary.

Lumbar support.

Update after a Year
By Steve

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Sport Trac for over a year now, so I thought I would provide an updated review. I am still a big fan of this truck. Handling and comfort are great. It feels stable in all conditions I am 6'7" 250 lbs and I have plenty of room which is great because I am in the truck most of the day. The fold flat rear seats provide me a "mobile office" platform, yet the open bed allows for the occassional bulkier item. I have 16,000 miles and fuel economy hovers at 20 in mixed driving. I have had no issues, nothing falling off or not working. Everyone I know loves my truck, and 3 friends have actually got one after seeing mine. I did extensive research before buying, and I am very happy.

Sliding rear window, comfort, handling

Storage bins are small and cannot be used for much--I have given up on them. Seat fabric is hard to keep clean and is showing some wear