Why did Ford build this?
By fmrdlrauto on
2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
It is Nov 2012 as I type this. Altho this pkp has less than 12,000 mi it has had to have ALL 4 brakes & 2 rotors replaced due to early failure. Not much room for a 6'1'' guy like me. Pkp is underpowered and avgs 17 mpg city/hwy cmbind. Short bed is nxt to worthless. You cannot unlock doors with keypad on door, only with keyfob! Late father's trk. Drove many pkps over the years. This is the worst. Had so much trouble with my 99 Sable and this 2005 Pkp, I am now a proud 2010 Honda Van owner. No wonder FORD dropped this model. Choppy ride, & controls are in weird places. I'd have been ashamed to sell this trk to my customers. Give me an old F150 4x4, 8ft. bed!
Favorite Features
A/C works great. Easy to shift into 4 wheel drive. Electric rear window nice. Running boards are good. Good heating system. Locking tailgate handy. Goes well in snow!
Suggested Improvements
Should have offered in a 7ft or 8ft bed. Not enough interior room for tall folks. Hate the way pwr door lock system works! Engine underpowered. Needs a turbo! Brake reliability is horrible! Speed control awkward to operate.Radio/CD player awkward to operate.Knitted vinyl seats would be nice!Control switch operation not consistent with other FORD products. Needs longer warranty.This, like Ford's Aerostar, EXP, 4cyl Tauruses, Diesel Tempos & such,Mustang IIs, Courier Pkps,80-82 T-Birds should never have been approved & built! A totally redesigned, roomy, long bed, small truck, with a good price, great reliability, and excellent mileage would win back all those small pickup owners Ford lost.